Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US M1917 Wool Jacket and Trousers

Article about: Hello Everyone! I found this for sale and was wondering if this is an authentic WW1 uniform, or if it is a reproduction/post WW1. I believe it is authentic but wanted to double-check, just f

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Smitty,
    Just trying to learn something here. So this guy was in the medical service of the USA, with the rank of PFC. So would he have been a medic in the field/hospital? Also what does the Fleur-de-lis patch represent?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    District of Paris, United States Liaison Services to French Army

WWI United States Military Shoulder Patches / Sleeve Insignias

I don't know WW1 US insignia all that well but I have read that there were many theater made patches, thus there are variations.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Phil,

You are correct with your evaluation. This Soldier was a Private First Class, and he wore the medical rate insignia (round patch with medical caduceus) and the Soldier was discharged as indicated by the red chevron. The district of Paris patch (Fleur de Lis) was common for Soldiers who were assigned to Paris. I have also seen pictures of this insignia being worn by Marines also assigned to the Paris District.

I would venture to say that the Soldier was some type of medical orderly or in some capacity as a medic that worked at a General Hospital in the rear area of Paris..

It will be interesting to do some research on this individual and there the answers may be revealed..

Smitty

Very nice to see that tunic. My grandfather was stationed as a medic at Base Hospital 41 in St. Denis, France, near Paris at the park of l'Ecole de la Legion d'Honneur. They wore the fleur-de-lis as their unit patch and as the family story goes, they were the only American unit to wear that symbol. I still have his patch in a frame. I'll try to get a good photo and post it.
    Here are a couple of links about Hospital 41
    https://charlottesvillealbemarlehist...e-hospital-41/
    A Guide to the Papers of Base Hospital 41 1905-2009 Base Hospital 41, Papers of MS-17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2