MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US painted helmet

Article about: I picked this helmet up today at a local shop for \\$40.00 US. I like it.Once again I go looking for WWII and all I find is WWI. Gary

?

Default Re: US painted helmet

Ned that is awesome how did you put that together . Did one of them use the # 5 on his race car. Not what you would think to be painted on a WWI helmet. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Ned that is awesome how did you put that together . Did one of them use the # 5 on his race car. Not what you would think to be painted on a WWI helmet. Gary
    Hi Gary,

I just found the last name i missed last night... 'Horn' is Ted Horn, another American racing driver killed 1948.

The way it worked is this.., i punched in 'Nalon' on t'internet and got a mention of a guy by that name as a racing driver, but did not persue it. Then i tried 'Gritzbeck' and that also mentioned a guy who raced! 2+2=4, the website was this one :-

Motorsport Memorial - Updates

Put the names of each in and all will be revealed! Whoever wore the lid was a keen racegoer from 1933 - 1948, that's for sure!!

It didn't take me long really, just picked up on Ted Horn tonight, after reading your reply, I'm sure if you delved a little deeper you could find out much more... including who drove No. 5 !!

All the best, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A bit more info:-

Mauri Rose and one of his cars....
    Attached Images Attached Images US painted helmet  US painted helmet 
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Dennis 'duke' Nalon...
    Attached Images Attached Images US painted helmet 

Bill Holland...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US painted helmet  

And Ted Horn... Cheers, Ned.

Quote by big ned View Post
    And Ted Horn... Cheers, Ned.
    OOOPS!!...I'll try that again!!..Ted Horn.
    Attached Images Attached Images US painted helmet 

?

Big Ned you are the man when I first got home with the helmet I tried some of the names on the net and got nothing.I will have to dig deeper into this to see if one of them drove the # 5 car. I think I will also print some photos of the drivers and put them with the helmet. Gary

Gary, what a great piece! I love that racecar connection. Whodduh thunk? I think you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for 30's and 40's racing memoralbilia
    as you're scouring those antique stores. There's tons of old postcards etc. out there. rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2