MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

US ww1 camo helmet

Article about: Hey guys, So I've been saving up some money, and I just got some more for christmas, and I have a list of wants. A US camo helmet is on it! So I'm wondering, does this helmet look good to al

Default US ww1 camo helmet

Hey guys,

So I've been saving up some money, and I just got some more for christmas, and I have a list of wants. A US camo helmet is on it! So I'm wondering, does this helmet look good to all you guys and girls??? I would appreciate comments. The asking price is $160 US dollars. Thanks!

Quinn

US ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmetUS ww1 camo helmet

Default Re: US ww1 camo helmet

Quinn: I'm probably too late to do you any service on this one, but for future reference the photos you posted are of a US WWI "Kelly" helmet. I think $160 is too much to pay, but I haven't been in that market for many years, so I am probably behind the times. Anyway, below is a scan from America's Munitions, 1917-18 (GPO 1919) which shows the end-of-the-war pattern the US used. Dwight
    US ww1 camo helmet

To me it appears as rust, not camo. There are other WWI US lids
    out there in better condition for about the same dough,
    if you are patient.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Not to burst your bubble my friend but, for that much money I'd want a little more camo on my camo helmet.

I think you could do a lot better if you were willing to wait a bit and keep looking.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    [SIZE=3] but for future reference the photos you posted are of a US WWI "Kelly" helmet.
    Are you sure? Isn't a Kelly Coversion liner a 4 finger all leather liner with a leather pad in the center? This helmet looks to me like a standard M1917 liner...or am I missing something?

If it were a Kelly Conversion helmet, $160 would be a good price, they usually go for $175 plus in decent condition.

Please, someone correct me if I am mis-spoken here.

Russ

Hey Matt,
    if you go on eBay right now and punch in "US camo WWI helmet", there are 2 available. One is a little strange, the other is more conventional.
    They are only a bit more than you mentioned you had to spend. Good luck Brother.

Thanks guys for the help! Ive decided not to buy the helmet and wait, thanks again guys. I'll check out ebay!
    Just wondering, were the kelly helmets the ones that the americans used early in the pacific?

Quote by matthewsq View Post
    Just wondering, were the kelly helmets the ones that the americans used early in the pacific?
    Not sure if they were limited to just the Pacific Theater but yes, the Kelly Conversion was used early in the war while the M-1's were still getting geared up in numbers. The shell was a standard M1917 with the Kelly Conversion liner, a much improved liner from the M1917 and I'm guessing, at wars start, the M1917's were all but worn out being 20 plus years old. They were designated M1917A1.

?

Well, I have to put my 2 cents in even if it is a year later. In the late '30's, we converted M1917 doughboy helmets and leftover British Brodies into the M1917A1. In 1941, the McCord Radiator & Mfg. Co. also made some 900,000 M1917A1's (until told to stop and make M1's). The liner and chinstrap of an M1917A1 are nothing like yours. Yours looks like a WWI liner (stamped, I hope). I own all 3 types as well as 85 other helmets. Thanks. Jack