Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US WWI M-8 Experimental Helmet

Article about: Hows it going today everyone? Was browsing across a auction site and found the M-8 Experimental. Iv seen pictures, and tried doing some research. There not very common to find for trade or s

Default US WWI M-8 Experimental Helmet

Hows it going today everyone? Was browsing across a auction site and found the M-8 Experimental. Iv seen pictures, and tried doing some research. There not very common to find for trade or sale I dont think. Just wondering if anyone out there has an interest or specifies in experimental helmets that may have some info on this. I would assume there reproduced if there a rare item?

None the less if someone is interested in these feel free to chase the bid, I'm just looking to learn more about them. Curiosity gets the best of me.

US WWI M-8 Experimental Helmet - Cowan's Auctions

?

This is an interesting helmet I have only seen a few of these I would think that they reproduce them, but this one is no reproduction

wow.. never seen one of thoses before, just looks medieval...

Ya it really is different looking, most likely doubles for a weekend of jousting right? haha

There were eight versions of this helmet developed during WWI. All are very similar in appearance and vary only in regard to weight and some features, such as the sliding visor on No. 8, which was designed for machine gunners. No. 5 helmet, which weighed 2 pounds, 6.5 ounces was considered the most successful of the series in that it combined all the best features of the other helmets. The Swiss Army adopted the No. 5 model as its standard helmet. The photos and information are from America's Munitions, 1917-1918, Report of Benedict Crowell, Assistant Secretary of War for Munitions, Washington: GPO, 1919, pp. 223-26 Dwight

Photos showing full body armor developed by Ordnance Dept. in WWI

Upper left is helmet No. 2 and upper right is helmet no. 8 with the visor up.

Great info, thanks

Anybody ever purchased or sold this M-8 style before? Trying to get an idea of what there possibly trading at? Auction site estimates fairly vague price.

?

WWI US experimental helmets are usually over $1000 on the low end, and maybe $3000 on the high end (with intact liner and in good condition). That being said I've seen them much, much higher being sold from dealers, but they pop up every now and then on auctions and ebay even. That was a very nice Model 8 on Cowans, with good texture still remaining and the liner intact.

Greetings all,

Here’s one currently for sale. Nice pictures too.

College Hill Arsenal :: NEW ITEMS :: Experimental US #8 Helmet - Very Fine & Very Rare

Regards,

Lance

Militariaone: Great post with photographs of a truly rare item. But look at the price. A guy would either really want the thing or literally have money to burn. Since I don't fit either catagorey--but I would like to have it--I'm definitely sidelined. Besides, the suspension liner lacks the draw string. I don't want to be spending $5,500 for something that's not complete. Now I feel better. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast