Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie

Article about: Morning Gents I was quite happy to be able to add this Mk I to my collection yesterday it has a lovely patina and well used look about with much of the sand textured finish still visible on

?

Mark, if you wanted one of those, you should have told me..I got rid of 2 of them a couple of months ago as I have a few of them..here are photos of 4 of the 5 I still have..the black one with the number 158 on the inside has no extra rim on it..that bit that goes around the edge
    I hope these photos help..by the way, I think I may have some late war rings for the inside..I think I saw some when I was going through some of my boxes..
    The lid in the 2nd photo has a very small shrapnel hole in it..it is hard to see but it is to the right of the centre in the photo, and if you look hard, you can see it.

I have never looked for the stamp on the inside, I am afraid of damaging the liners

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

War Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I BrodieWar Office Pattern Mk I Brodie

?

Hi Dean Lovely examples the one with the shrapnel damage would make an excellent display helmet if only it could talk after reviewing the pictures there is a good possibility that the rubber ring is still intact under the wool but we shall see as to your offer on a Mk I the thought had never even crossed my mind to be honest you have been more than generous in are dealings in the past with the Mk I HSRAC and the Radio headsets and mics I recently purchased from you for the lack of a better term I did not want to wear out my welcome as it were.
    I am in need of a chinstrap though if by chance you have one hidden away somewhere and adding another Mk I to my collection to keep the other company would not be a bad ideal either I do not want this one to get lonely

Regards Mark

jwp
    ?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Thanks very much Jerry and Paul the only thing I could have hoped for was a chinstrap in better condition perhaps I will see about mending the end to conserve it none the less I am quite happy all the same and it will display rather nicely and will feel right at home amongst its younger Mk II siblings
    Hi John thank you for commenting some new information has come to light concerning the textiles used in the manufacturing process of the top dome pad Jerry had brought this to my attention some time ago when I voiced my concerns that asbestos was one of the textiles that were used here is an excerpt from a period document explaining the three main materials used in the construction process were felt,cotton and wool and it is thought that the white powder is caused from a break down in the materials that were used.

Regards Mark
    Many thanks for that info Mark,
    all the best,
    John.

?

Just a little update to the thread the rubber donut is still intact as you thought Joe and is as you mentioned under the felt I have not tried to pry the dome pad back for a look but I can feel it with my fingers.
    As to the material used in the construction of the basil in the headband support it would appear to me to be cordite cloth and not leather so post April of 1917 here are a few more daylight images of the shell and the liner band for your consideration.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie   War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie  

War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie   War Office Pattern Mk I Brodie  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2