Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The war souvenirs of my great-grandfather, Ebenezer Reid.

Article about: Hi guys, I thought I'd take some shots of some of the medals and items that my great grandfather Ebenezer Reid brought home with him from the First World War. He served with the 39th Battali

Default Re: The war souvenirs of my great-grandfather, Ebenezer Reid.

Hi Joshua, knowing exactly where these came from makes them special. A superb group.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Adrian, I'm very pleased.. I'm building a portion of my collection that focuses on him and his items, complete with photos of him whilst overseas.

Josh

Quote by Joshua View Post
    Thank you gentleman! It's great to have something tied to a relative.. I sometimes wonder if he and I share the same collecting bug! I appreciate your comments..

Rene, I do not have any more information on the rising sun but I can take some more closeups if you'd like, of the details plus the back of the piece (it has been a mystery for me also)?

Also, the link wasn't working when I tried it but I'd love to see the photograph! Any chance of saving it then posting?

Josh
    Gday Josh,
    It must have something to do with the surname,I,m a Reid and also have the same issues LOL.Must be the Scottish blood.Australian diggers were proberly the most active collectors of anything not bolted down in WW1.
    Cheers mate
    David Reid

Too true mate!

He brought plenty of stuff home! I remember my grandmother seeing alot of my German items and remarking that it must have something to do with some our descendants coming from there.. I had a good laugh..!

Josh

Lovely collection

I'm guessing the two 'crowns on sticks' (on the right above the German dog tag) actually belonged to the Suffolk Regt and 9th Lancers badges?

Rob

Quote by Thanatos View Post

Gday Josh,
    It must have something to do with the surname,I,m a Reid and also have the same issues LOL.Must be the Scottish blood.Australian diggers were proberly the most active collectors of anything not bolted down in WW1.
    Cheers mate
    David Reid
    My ancestors arrived in our great country because they liked taking things that were not bolted down!lol

Quote by Robert Ball View Post
    Lovely collection
    I'm guessing the two 'crowns on sticks' (on the right above the German dog tag) actually belonged to the Suffolk Regt and 9th Lancers badges?
    Rob
    Thanks Rob, the First World War isn't my greatest strong point, but I'm sure you're correct on that! Do you have any ideas on what this might be?

Identifying large pin (R.A.A.F / R.A.F)

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    My ancestors arrived in our great country because they liked taking things that were not bolted down!lol
    LOL

AIF
    ?

Quote by sandgroper View Post

Hahahaha!! Nice one as did some of mine... I could never see the Poms logic in this, They send all their unwanted criminals to a beautiful tropical paradise for punishment and yet they stay behind on a cold wet island thats next door to the French lol

Thats where the mongrel in us comes from.
    Thats a very nice collection Josh.Hang on to it mate and pass it on to your children hay "Lest we forget".
    To right Sandgroper but heres another cultural question how do we explain the 100 000 000 uses for fencing wire we have worked out ?
    Cheers
    Dave

WOW! Truly COOL stuff!!!!! I like seeing WW1 stuff on here!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast