Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!

Article about: Hello everyone an acquaintance of mine showed me the other days a British Military Medal that was given to a Romanian NCO during WW1. For almost two years he asked a lot of people why is the

Default Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!

Hello everyone
    an acquaintance of mine showed me the other days a British Military Medal that was given to a Romanian NCO during WW1. For almost two years he asked a lot of people why is the medal so peculiar. It is not made of silver (and he doesn't know the alloy) and it is not marked with the bearer's name.
    Could you please provide me some info about these types of medals? What metal are they made of? How much they worth? Why are not marked?
    Thank you very much
    best regards
    Sever (Romania)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!   Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!  

Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!  

Hi. As you probably know, this is was awarded to other ranks for acts of gallantry. It was instituted in 1916. They were issued un- named to foreign recipients. I don't know why this would not be silver, it could be a replacement although looks ok to me from the photos provided apart from some odd marks that look like corrosion.

?

If the medal isn't named, how can you say that it was awarded to a Romanian?

If it isn't made of silver then it is presumably a copy.

?

Sever, I thought all Military Medals awarded were silver? Check for the initials BM (Bertram Mackennal) under the King's shoulder. This one appears similar or is the same medal British WW1 era Military Medal to a Romanian Soldier.

As for no name, as far as I'm aware any MM awarded to non Commonwealth service personnel was always awarded unnamed.

Tony

Edit: I see I'm slow at writing By the way, only 180 odd were awarded to Romanians.

From the crude condition of it, I would say that this medal is a cast fake. The George V "Military Medals", as it is known, were made of Silver. It was a Level 3 Gallantry Award issued to Other Ranks of the British Army and those of the Commonwealth. If there is no name on them, they are usually unissued or awarded to non-British recipients. Unfortunately, this one you have looks to be a counterfeit. Perhaps this is why it did not sell on Ebay last August for $249.99...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The man that has it, bought it from the vet's family together with other WW1 era awards. During the great war there were some romanian officers, NCO's and soldiers that received British awards and this fellow was one of them

An odd one, there is a distinct lack of detail on the Kings head side of the medal!..

kc1
    ?

Does the pin holding the disc and suspender appear to have been pushed through and closed , there should be a line around the head if its a separate item or does it look to be part of the suspender in which case its a cast fake.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    From the crude condition of it, I would say that this medal is a cast fake. The George V "Military Medals", as it is known, were made of Silver. It was a Level 3 Gallantry Award issued to Other Ranks of the British Army and those of the Commonwealth. If there is no name on them, they are usually unissued or awarded to non-British recipients. Unfortunately, this one you have looks to be a counterfeit. Perhaps this is why it did not sell on Ebay last August for $249.99...
    I agree entirely, unfortunately I believe this is an ugly fake. I am not aware of any MM made of anything but silver and the pin (rivet) mentioned by kc1 seems quite clearly to my eyes to be an integral part of the piece.

British medals of all periods have a very distinctive appearance that is very hard to quantify but once you know that appearance nothing else looks quite like it. Also the MM itself is very highly regarded (it was the only one with the legend "For Bravery in the Field" and even the VC just bears the legend "For Valour") and I simply can't imagine any circumstances under which the Royal Mint would even consider making such an award to a less than superior quality.

I really hope you did not pay much for it.

As the saying goes "Buy the medal/badge/artifact not the story"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Just been doing some checking:

1. they were minted at the Royal Mint in silver
    2. the diameter should be 36.46mm, taking tolerances into account the measurement can vary ever so slightly
    3. the thickness of the rim should be 2.7mm or 2.8mm, fakes are often 3mm thick according to H Williamson, Collector & Researchers Guide to the Great War
    4. a pic of the initials (slightly blurry) is attached
    5. an original will swivel, one piece cast copies (suspender & medal) don't.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weird British Military Medal. Need help!!!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast