Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood medals

Article about: My collection of medals to members of the 38th Welsh Division, who fought in the ferocious battles that took place at Mametz Wood, a battle that will long live in Welsh military memory.

Default The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood medals

My collection of medals to members of the 38th Welsh Division, who fought in the ferocious battles that took place at Mametz Wood, a battle that will long live in Welsh military memory. The units in red are those for whom I do not have any medals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood medals   The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood medals  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

thanks Jerry.

A fine tribute to the 38th Welsh Division. They did indeed fight very hard, and the graves around there are a grim reminder of the human cost in taking the wood.

I am currently reading this excelent recent publication, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...f_rd_i=desktop

Already been reduced from Amazon.
    Regards,

Jerry

It always lifts my spirit when I see a collector or anyone for that matter seeking to preserve the memory of any group of such stoic, pragmatic and gallant men.

I find it hard to settle on a specific group as I am from the North West of England and as a small boy I knew many veterans as my neighbours but my adopted county is Wiltshire which like all counties and regions, has a proud military heritage. Also, I served with men from all regions during my own time and some of them did not "beat the clock". So, for me it is all the men from all regions in all conflicts and theatres that are the subject of my commemorations.

Whenever the subject comes up I am always reminded of the inscription on the Kohima memorial from WWII;

"When you go home, tell them of us and say. for your tomorrow we gave our today"

For me this sums up the whole awful mess made by "Big" men (politicians) the world over and sorted out by "Small" men (simple soldiers) with huge hearts.

Thanks for sharing these emmotive items at this time.

Regards

Mark

PS I don't know about anybody else but I was absolutely delighted to see German soldiers participate during the vigil at Thiepval last night. It wasn't commented on by the jounalists but I suppose they didn't notice as they were so busy mis-describing WWI Regiments.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-01-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: additional comment
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Exellent Jerry , i have been Guiding a group on the Somme 100 Anniversary and was at the Wood a couple of days ago !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Exellent Jerry , i have been Guiding a group on the Somme 100 Anniversary and was at the Wood a couple of days ago !
    Thanks
    Paul expect it to get very busy from the 7th onward.
    Regards,

Jerry