Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

West Point Military Academy Tailcoat Uniform

Article about: Well there's really not to much to say on this West Point Military Academy Tailcoat Uniform. They haven't changed much since the 1860's except that I know for sure they only one row of pipin

Default West Point Military Academy Tailcoat Uniform

Well there's really not to much to say on this West Point Military Academy Tailcoat Uniform. They haven't changed much since the 1860's except that I know for sure they only had one row of piping on the collar back then. When the two rows of piping came out I don't know. Strangely enough there's not to much information out there on these uniforms. I don't know if the gold embroidery on the sleeves on my uniform count the same as regular military years, so in my case 10 yeas of service, 1 for 5 years. This uniform was handed out 1918 how old the actual uniform is no idea could be much older as they were handed down to the next recruit. It has the three metal clips to attach the white collar and the three black and eye hooks to close the front of the collar. I found nothing on the owners name. This uniform is very solid and heavy for it's age. I just find them fascinating and wish to share this with you all.

West Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat UniformWest Point Military Academy Tailcoat Uniform
    Last edited by skippyroo1; 07-31-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Nice piece, thanks for sharing! BTW love the condition it is in.

Mart

?

The gold braid on the cuff indicates the cadet (not recruit) was a Second Classman (Junior). There was a Cadet Edward C. Harwood class of 1920. That would date this uniform 1918, which is the date on the label.

?

These uniforms are made at West Point for the individual cadet and not reissued. The tailor signs each uniform they make.

Thank you aicusv. I feel ill and was out for a couple of days. Sorry for my late reply. Well you taught me a lesson. When I was in a Mill. Academy (not in this Country) we received re-used mill. Accouterments including uniforms. These were not specifically tailored to the cadet as in the US. When grown out or leaving after graduation or quitting the uniforms if in good condition were turned in laundered and then re-issued to the next new recruit.

The reason why I say recruit “not drafted” is also simple, back then we recruited but were still cadets. In other words a cadet will recruit to join the Mill. Forces.

My mistake was simply being used to my style of “cadetting” and not having the knowledge of how it is / was practiced in the US. That is a typical ignorance thought from my side believing it is the same everywhere. I was very, very, very young when I “recruited” 7 of age (parents Permission of cause). Having said that, to recruit in my way as cadet, one didn't have to be rich or have a representative - referral. You would go to any branch of choosing infantry, air force ect. (with parents) From there you will be signed up as recruit and re-directed to the next closest “academy” to were you live. You don't stay and live there, you go home after “ I think it was a three day in a week “ introduction as we called it for training and schooling and so on, then it increased. This way every and any one could “recruit” and become a cadet to grow within the Milli.. Forces to become an Officer. I now live in the states legally. I used to be young and handsome now I'm just “and”. I tried to join the Forces here in the States. It was complicated. The US Mill. recruiting team tried everything to get me signed up, they even received from my home country information of my first day of recruiting "at age of 7" . The next problem I was just a Permanent Resident, so it didn't work out. In my country you could be a Permanent Resident for just 1 month join the Forces and you will become automatically naturalised within the first month of recruiting, another difference of countries.

So I do apologise for my ignorance.

Thank you for the information about the gold braids. I will study Cadet Edward C. Harwood class of 1920 as far as I can.

Thank You kindly
    Skip.

?

No need to apologize , just hope the information was of use.