Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 AIF memorial scroll

Article about: I have been offered this scroll and the seller is disposing of someone else's estate and will accept a reasonable offer, but I have no idea what these sell ofr. Can anyone give me a ballpark

Only had a quick flick through, but he was evidently wounded at the Battle of Messines and died in 1 ACCS. See below. Cheers,

Tom

No.1 Australian Casualty Clearing Station opened at Estaires in the 2nd Army in May 1916, with a Nursing Staff of 7, drawn from the staff of No.1 Australian General Hospital.
    In May 1917, the C.C.S. moved to Bailleul, where it had a busy time during the battle for Messines ridge, and in July it moved again to Outtersteene, a site near Hazebrouck. Here the work was very heavy during the mustard gas attacks in the Armentieres sector. In October 1917, Colonel Dick the O.C. was transferred to No.1 Australian General Hospital, and Lt.Col. Marks D.S.C. relieved him. On the afternoon of Sept.26th, the vicinity of the C.C.S. was shelled, and one fell at the back of the Officers’ ward, but fortunately did not explode. The patients were evacuated and the Sisters sent to No.2 C.C.S. for the afternoon, but returned later. After this, a concrete dug-out was built in the Sisters’ compound.

In November 1917, the C.C.S. was converted into a Corps Rest Station, and the staff was considerably reduced, but early in March it again became a C.C.S. and the full staff rejoined.

Quote by Anon View Post
    Thanks Tom, I really appreciate you taking the time to find and post his papers for me.
    My pleasure!

Cheers, Tom

Excellent result Jerry, and great to have so much information.

Can't go too far wrong for £15. An interesting document!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Can't go too far wrong for £15. An interesting document!
    The information that can be found, thanks to Tom, really has a value out of all proportion to what it has cost me.

It will take an honoured position in my collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Arrived today. Thanks to the seller.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 AIF memorial scroll  
    Regards,

Jerry

Interesting piece Jerry - congrats on the pick up.

Plympton is just down the road from me and interestingly enough there is a Wheaton Road in the suburb - in fact a friend lives in it. I wonder if it was named in his honour?

Cheers
    Tim

Obviously it was sad for all who fell, but he survived less than 1 month with his unit and probably fell in his first action.

Gone but not forgotten.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2