Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Australian Rising Sun Badge

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen I rather shamefacedly admit that this is my one and only badge from Australia. However, it belonged to my paternal Grandfather who fought in Franc

Default WW1 Australian Rising Sun Badge

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I rather shamefacedly admit that this is my one and only badge from Australia.

However, it belonged to my paternal Grandfather who fought in France in WW1 - no idea the location - and my Grandmother gave it to me in about 1975.

As mentioned in a previous thread, he was unfortunately gassed, dying was when I was about 5.

I only have the one photo of him - he's the gentlemen on the bottom....taken on the Marino Beach.

I really know very little about him - my father only talked about him in the most abstract of terms - he always described him as the 'strong man'. I can certainly believe it.

I have vivid memories of visiting my Grandparents and going out to their garage where my Grandfather had made a set of barbells - made of concrete with the weights measuring about 400x80mm. All I could do was roll them around....

Both my Uncles tend to be very reserved when I mention him.

I tend to think that unfortunately they did not have a happy childhood.

Cheers
    Tim

My Grandfather:

Great badge especially from family!
    May I ask for a shot of the rear?

Unhappy

But of course Rene.

Unfortunately one of the posts broke prior to receiving it - my Grandmother attempted to glue it on - probably in retrospect not the best of moves....

However I still have the prong and the other post.

Not sure what I am able to do with it - if anything.

I apologise for the quality of the photos- I still have not purchased a tripod.

Edit...

Cheers
    Tim

WW1 Australian Rising Sun BadgeWW1 Australian Rising Sun Badge

Thank You kindly, the shot of the reverse is great, looks like there is a maker mark there above the crown? It's difficult to tell between WW1 & WW2 types from my experience!- bit of luck AMTG or Thanatos will catch on and give input

Really? I had no idea that they were marked - what should I be looking for?

Edit: Had a good look with a hand held magnifying glass and can't see anything and then put it under a reasonably powerful desk mounted magnifying glass and still nothing.

jwp
    ?

great post, most interesting, I have an AIF collar badge that belonged to Lt. James Shorrock AIF, he won the DSO for his actions at the battle of Amiens, 8th august 1918, this was made into a sweetheart badge and sent to his sister, during the 1970s his sister was an elderly neighbour of mine and I looked after her garden and did her shopping, she passed this on to me as no one in her family wanted it, I have treasured it ever since. another coincidence my grandfather was also in action at amiens that day with the 3rd London regt, he was badly wounded during the attack on Malard wood.
    John.WW1 Australian Rising Sun Badge

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Really? I had no idea that they were marked - what should I be looking for?

Edit: Had a good look with a hand held magnifying glass and can't see anything and then put it under a reasonably powerful desk mounted magnifying glass and still nothing.
    Cheers Tim,
    I thought there may have been lettering there. I guess I was wrong.