Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Bayonet

Article about: Hi Folks. This bayonet bellonged to my Great Uncle, killed at Ypers in 1915. I have seldom seen a bayonet of this style with the curl on the hilt is this a different model to the usual type

hog
    ?

Default WW1 Bayonet info please.

Hi Folks. This bayonet bellonged to my Great Uncle, killed at Ypers in 1915.
    I have seldom seen a bayonet of this style with the curl on the hilt is this a different model to the usual type seen.

Many thanks for any info on this blade.

?

Default Re: WW1 Bayonet

Hi, it's British 1907 pattern, the very first pattern of those. Rare specimen nowadays. Since 1913 they were made with no qullion (the hook) Australia and India made them for couple of years longer.

hog
    ?

Thank you very much for the info.

This is quite a rare bayonet; and even more so that its related to your family. The Quillon, as said before, was omitted in 1913. Very very awesome piece. Treasure it!

hog
    ?

Thanking you, the only problem with it which does not show up in the photo are some nasty grind marks where someone in the past has run it on a grinding wheel in an attempt to sharpen it, just wondering how to get them out, perhaps some rough grit wet and dry going down to smooth grit.

Awesome bayonet! May I ask how it was returned to your family?

hog
    ?

I have absolutely no idea, suffice to say it was returned with his New Testament bible which has a message to the troops from Lord Roberts in the inside cover and a small book with the gospel of St John, both quite worn so there must have been quite a lot of soul searching going on. There were other items but they seem to have ben lost in the passing of time, including his 3 decorations, the 1914 star, War medal and the Victory medal. Would be great to try and locate them.

How odd! The blade appears to be much shorter than it should be. The overall length of the bayonet should be just a shade short of 22 inches. Is it my eyes decieving me? It also appears to be marked CROWN ER 6 '12, but it was King George V who was on the throne in 1912.

?

1911 into 1012 Edward VIII to George V.
    Probably a slightly older blade assembled from stock, and the 6 '12 was the inspectors date rather than manufacture.

Gary J.

hog
    ?

Just measured the thing and actual blade length is 17", that does not include the handle. Overall length is just a fraction over 21.5".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast