Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 Bayonet

Article about: Hi Folks. This bayonet bellonged to my Great Uncle, killed at Ypers in 1915. I have seldom seen a bayonet of this style with the curl on the hilt is this a different model to the usual type

Default Re: WW1 Bayonet

Well that settles that then! It really must be my eyes playing tricks on me! I'd best get to Specsavers ASAP.

I wouldn't recommend using sandpaper/gritpaper on it. The grind marks that exist may be old and add to the history. It has already been done, and I don't think it would be best to add to it. Best to leave as much of the original surface as possible.

hog
    ?

I will leave it as is then, its not like there is going to be an inspection or anything, and indeed I may just make it worse.

Can you show a good picture of the hooked quillon and guard? this is where they can be modified

hog
    ?

Here are a couple sorry about the quality of the one pic, also one of the lettering on the base of the handle.

?

Regiment marked ! ... Royal Irish Rifles (R I R)
    (Possibly 10th Battalion - Known as the South Belfast Volunteers, ... Does this tie in with your Great Uncle ?)

Gary J.

hog
    ?

Mmm, not from a military point.
    He was with the 2nd Bat Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, wonder how he came about this bayonet then, unless it was one he picked up to replace his own, or even one he brought back as a souvenier (sp ? ) before he was killed, or even stashed it with his personal things.
    He was a full time soldier as far as I know because he was in the 2nd Boer War in 1899-1901 (obviously he was not issued this bayonet then ) and his Grandparents were Irish so it is possible he enlisted in Ireland at the time...not sure I will try and find out a bit about his Boer War service, if its possible.
    Last edited by hog; 04-04-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2