Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Ww1 British brodie with marking

Article about: Evening gentleman (and ladies), Please give your opinions on this ww1 British brodie! What do you make of the E100 markings? Planning on spending some of my leftover money (aka the small amo

Default Ww1 British brodie with marking

Evening gentleman (and ladies),

Please give your opinions on this ww1 British brodie! What do you make of the E100 markings? Planning on spending some of my leftover money (aka the small amount not going towards university hahaha) on this piece.

Thanks in advance,

Quinn

Ww1 British brodie with markingWw1 British brodie with markingWw1 British brodie with markingWw1 British brodie with markingWw1 British brodie with marking

?

A great looking helmet! Probably with the rubber ring under the beige felt pad dating it (from memory so don't quote me) to post May 1917 or thereabouts.

They're often found in the US in the condition shown so I wonder if the E100 has something to do with the US army? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you out.

Tony

Hey tony,

Thanks for your reply! This one ks coming out of the US so I'm assuming an American soldier brought it home!

In helmets with the rubber ring, doesn't the leather chinstrap kind of "bump" over where the ring would be? (For lack of a better explanation, will find a pic tomorrow)

Also, does the E100 paint look too fresh to you? Although the paint lookslike its been there a while, there's no scratches on it!

?

The netting is there to make it a bit more comfy to wear I suppose and I imagine the rubber ring was added for the same reason so it must have been ok otherwise the men would have ripped them out.

Have a look here .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark I :.

The paint would have to be looked in hand but even if it was fresh, it wouldn't worry me. It could even be a museum inventory number.

Ok, thank you! I'm not sure what to think of this helmet, it's definitely British-made, but has paint that is reminiscent of American use? Is there any definite way to determine whether the paint is US or British? I mainly collect CEF and BEF items so I would like to know!

I like the condition of the helmet, and the "E100" marking makes it much more interesting. It's $160. Does that seem like a good price?

As far as I remember reading the Americans were using French Adrian helmets and British helmets until their war production caught up. It could've been used by the Americans but wouldn't know how to determine that.

?

Quote by matthewsq View Post
    Ok, thank you! I'm not sure what to think of this helmet, it's definitely British-made, but has paint that is reminiscent of American use? Is there any definite way to determine whether the paint is US or British? I mainly collect CEF and BEF items so I would like to know!

I like the condition of the helmet, and the "E100" marking makes it much more interesting. It's $160. Does that seem like a good price?
    Snap it up at that price mate, I reckon it's a lovely Brit made helmet and it'll be difficult to find one in better condition.

Looks to be a good one for a sensible price. I saw one yesterday for £175.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Agreed excellent helmet and a great price. I think probably issued to the US army before the US produced its own version. BUY IT NOW as the say on ebay!

Quote by ynot View Post
    Snap it up at that price mate, I reckon it's a lovely Brit made helmet and it'll be difficult to find one in better condition.

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    As far as I remember reading the Americans were using French Adrian helmets and British helmets until their war production caught up.
    The AEF was still buying Mk I helmets from the British in December, 1918.

It's probably impossible to determine what the E100 means. It could be a unit marking. The only 100th units I can think of were Air Corps.