Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?

Article about: Hello! Im may trade for this British ww1 helmet that is painted to the 86th division. 1, its in great shape, anybody think it could possibly be fake? 2, what might this helmet be worth in th

?

Default WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?

Hello! Im may trade for this British ww1 helmet that is painted to the 86th division.

1, its in great shape, anybody think it could possibly be fake?
    2, what might this helmet be worth in this shape with the painted insignia? the 86th didn't see any combat but still nice!

any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?

?

The helmet itself is unlikely to be a fake, the liner pad has seen better days. The insignia would need better pictures to be sure but I wouldn't think the 86th would be the top of a fakers list as British Brodies hold a good price without an insignia.

It's not unusual for US units to be issued a British helmet, and most of the insignias were painted for home coming parades so are generally in good condition if they have been stored well.

Steve.

?

Thanks for the reply and info! I request better pictures of the paint.
    Do you think I should leave it as is or try and remove the insignia and restore to British?

WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?WW1 British helmet, US 86th Painted?

?

A nice clean example.
    The 86th division was used as a replacement division and as a unit saw no combat in the trenches which probably accounts for the pristine condition.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT REMOVE THE DIVISION INSIGNIA.

It is what it is and probably harder to find than Combat division helmets.
    I find your suggestion of messing with an original helmet extremely annoying.

Remove the painted insignia from this great lid?.......An absurd notion and probably something only someone new to the hobby would even consider doing!

?

Hopefully you got the message, - don't attempt to remove the insignia - it's been there for a 100 years, any step to take it from it's current condition will only spoil it.

CBH
    ?

I believe he considered removing the paint only if it was a fake , which it doesn't seem to be . Considering a Faker would be much more likely to fake a Combat unit insignia , rather then a replacement unit . Nice item .