Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book

Article about: Good Day Everyone, Would someone be so kind as to provide any information with respect to the time period, officer rank, significance of the medals (4) of them this officer acquired, comment

thegreatwar
    ?

Default WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book

Good Day Everyone,

Would someone be so kind as to provide any information with respect to the time period, officer rank, significance of the medals (4) of them this officer acquired, comments on the style and condition of the Uniform, type of uniform, rarity of the uniform, why it has a tank patch on the shoulder and the relevance of the patch, evidently he was in the Machine Gun Corps and I assume they were just integrating the first tanks in to the battle theater at that time. The Field Service Pocket Book (1916) is signed by the officer owner of the uniform. I am interested in the approximate value of the set (uniform and book together) given the condition. There are some small moth holes in the Jacket, all the MGC metal buttons are present. The mark of the jacket and pants (on pant buttons) = J. Morton and sons Dundee. Any opinions on a monetary and historical value would be greatly appreciated. I have not commonly seen any MGC officer uniforms elsewhere. Many thanks, TGW
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book   WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book  

WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book   WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book  

WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book   WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book  

Last edited by thegreatwar; 01-10-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add tags..but no option to do so on edit page

Default Re: WW1 British Officer's Uniform (MGC/tank?) and Field book

Hi TGW, welcome to the forum!

It is a lovely tunic and very desirable on several counts: any cuff ranked tunic is always sought after and the MGC and Tank Corps connection makes it even more so. Rank is for a Lt.

Historically interesting: money value I cannot advise upon as I am not a WW1 collector per se.

Medal ribbons are the Military Cross, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal & the Victory Medal.

A great pity it is not named itself. But what is the name in the Field Service Pocket book? There is good research potential on this being a decorated Officer.

Cheers, Ade.

thegreatwar
    ?

Found the Forum, thank you for your experienced comments, It certainty shows field use! I know the name of the original officer/owner and his name is signed in the Field book along with another soldier/officer.

Did machine gunners work in pairs?.

.also there are two sets of numbers by both of their signatures, I think it refers to their residences..bunks? "25 Huk/Ltuh??? 2 Room". I'm especially curious why even with the tank patch his buttons still say MGC, wasn't there a Tank Corps proper?

Is it possible to look up the details of this officer's service record by just his name and knowing he was in the MGC? My feeling is that this combo of tank patch/MCG buttons is was evolutionary as the tank was being integrated (tested) into the front lines, what a great piece of history.

He was very lucky to have survived his lengthy and decorated tour..the MGC was supposedly a suicide club. There is a street in the home town of this officer that has his surname..which is not a common one, wonder if there is any connection. One of the medals was supposedly pinned on him by the Queen..was that a common occurrance? and were streets names commonly for noteworthy soldiers of this officers decoration or rank? Cheers

thegreatwar
    ?

I meant to ask, because it may not have been clear in the above reply, were streets named in honor of military officers of his decoration and rank? How could I find out who a certain street is named after? Is there a directory of streets names after war hero's in the UK? I know, crazy question but its fun to research this.

OKW
    ?

The machine gun corps connection is from motor machine gun corps which is what the first tank/ armoured car unit was designated.
    As Ade says the sleeve rank emblems are more desireable. The sleeve rank badges were changed to shoulder ones about 1916. This was to stop the wearers rank being advertised to snipers. There would have been a period of overlap in the regulations and compliance, some may never have to complied to show that they were 'old sweats'.
    The medal ribbons are for the M.C, military cross, and a first world war trio. the blue,red, white for a 1914 or 14-15 star. 14 would possibly have a silver rosette on it to show that it was this not 15 star. Other ribbons are for BWM, British war medal, and victory. These were not awarded until post war so presumably owner survived to collect them.The Military Cross, a gallantry award, was instituted in 1916, so would have been for action after then. If you visit the London Gazette site and put your mans name in from the book then you should get a rough idea when the medal was awarded and possibly for which action.The individual citations have long since been disposed of. If your man was tank corps, a small unit, then there may be information in one of the many histories written on this subject. A visit to the National Archives site would show his Medal Index Card which are available for download on payment. There are some ww1 site that would be worth visiting and asking there with your mans details regarding his history.
    As to value, some research would enable the owner to be pinned down with a greater probabily but without labelling the whole tunic could be a put together, an obstacle that couldn't be over come. There is some mothing, i don't know if the tank badge is period or between the wars issue, the tunic itself has got to be worth £200.

thegreatwar
    ?

Thank you OKW, fascinating information. Yes, the family of the Lt said he returned back from combat/military duty after the war uninjured and lived a nice retirement, but smoked too much and that is what did him in.

thegreatwar
    ?

If anyone is interested in owning this uniform and field book we can discuss by sending me a private message.

You need to contact the local Council where the named streets are concerned. They will have records of when and why the street got it's name from the Local Council Meeting minutes.

Cheers, Ade.

thegreatwar
    ?

I've logged in again, Cheers

nice ensemble,,,good luck with your research,,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast