Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 British Silver Wound badge

Article about: Hi Guys, I am not a big WW1 collector, but if items come along at the right price, I do buy them. The Silver Wound badge was issued to British Soldiers who were invalided out of the Army due

Hey Mark,
    Is it possible to help Ade out with his missing Kiwi?
    Is there an archive in Auckland or Wellington.....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I believe they are made of sterling silver. I have one
    of the 'C' - for Canada - marked type which
    I picked up several years back.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I assume many do not realise they go together and they get split up.
    I think this is an accurate assumption. Probably because these were worn on civilian clothing day to day as opposed to the medals which would only be worn on "medal parades".

Also there seems to be a tendancy to bracket these with the war service badges issued to civilian factory workers etc.

This being so these badges very easily become separated from all other items in a "group"

They are becoming more collectible like many things such as the infamous WWI death plaques which at one time you couldn't give away and now average £80 - £90 on their own. More if the envelope and letter is present let alone the associated medals!

I have always liked these for what they represent and the fact that it is recorded albeit in a dusty archive.

I have only one which I was given as a small child and to my shame I do not recall the source. I must get round to researching it

WW1 British Silver Wound badgeWW1 British Silver Wound badge

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-10-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here you go Mark:

Name: Saville Kershaw
    Discharge Unit: Labour Corps
    Regiment: Labour Corps
    Regimental Number: 670633
    Badge Number: B276792
    Piece: 3202
    List Number: LC 4901-5300
    Record Group: WO
    Record Class: 329
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here is the document.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Silver Wound badge  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Outstanding Ade

Now I am humbled as this was obviously something you were able to do very quickly, thank you very much!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Military Year: 1914-1920
    Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps: Labour Corps
    Previous Units: 10726 Pte Lan. Fus.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Silver Wound badge  

Military Year: 1914-1915
    Medal Awarded: 1914-15 Star
    Regiment or Corps: Labour Corps
    Previous Units: 6. Lan. Fus. 10726 Pte

Bloody hell Ade

PM on way

Regards

Mark

Last one of his files

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast