Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 brodie helmet

Article about: I picked up at a local antique market today what I think is a raw edge brodie helmet, will take some pics in the daylight in the morning, just after a bit of advice, the shell is in quite a

Yes 1917 pattern and as for the rust entirely down to the individual each to there own...............Jake.

jwp
    ?

thanks jake, think I will leave as is, just spotted it in the local antique center, it was under a table with no price on !, the dealer it belonged to was not there so the lady in charge rung him for a price and I got a pleasant surprise !!.

jwp
    ?

just looking at all the stuff that fell out from under the rim, I thought is was thick fluff and dust, it appears to be wool, would this be added for padding ? maybe I should put it back !

That padding is asbestos, so best soak it and toss it. Little known risk of these things. wear a dust mask too.

jwp
    ?

thanks for the good advice, rather worrying as I emptied the dust out, I take it the white pad under the rivet is the asbestos, it looks in one piece so as long as I leave it alone hopefully should be ok, thanks for the heads up though.

The pad under the rivet is white asbestos, the least hazardous sort. As long as you can manage to refrain from scratching it, sticking your face inside and inhaling, you'll probably be ok. I have a helmet that's also got this pad exposed and I've managed to resist that particular temptation so far. The stuff that fell out was probably the insect-eaten remnant of the felt pad that used to cover the asbestos pad.

jwp
    ?

thanks for that, the stuff that fell out was under the edge of the liner, as you say, more than likely the remains of the pad, it actually seemed to resemble sheep's wool !,
    cheers,
    john.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2