Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 BWM, Gaiters and Cap Badge from a Car Boot

Article about: Hi all. This group came from a car boot in Pembrokeshire. They were being sold by the soldier's relative because she had offered them to all other relatives and they had declined them We wor

Default WW1 BWM, Gaiters and Cap Badge from a Car Boot

Hi all. This group came from a car boot in Pembrokeshire. They were being sold by the soldier's relative because she had offered them to all other relatives and they had declined them We worked out a price that she was happy with and I purchased them. The medal is named to Gunner William Morgan RA from Swansea. Luckily his relative was also into history and had done some research which she had written down.

Her information says that he served throughout the First World War and became a Sergeant. Following this he was sent to India for the 3rd Afghan War and sadly died of septicemia in 1921. He is commemorated on the Dehli Memorial (India Gate).

From information on the CWWGC website he was 24 when he died and then a member of the RASC. I must do some more research about his service as I have only this to go on so far.

The RA cap badge has been broken and was apparently re- soldered by William Morgan's father. The gaiters are a type I am not familiar with. I assume they date from the WW1 period of his service.

Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 BWM, Gaiters and Cap Badge from a Car Boot   WW1 BWM, Gaiters and Cap Badge from a Car Boot  

WW1 BWM, Gaiters and Cap Badge from a Car Boot  

Hmmm, poaching in my area, bad form old chap.

Only kidding mate, looks like you did alright there, which boot sale was it?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Its fine Jerry. We went though all of your old posts and jotted down where you got some good buys from......

I jest of course

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Its fine Jerry. We went though all of your old posts and jotted down where you got some good buys from......

I jest of course
    I tend to avoid mention of specific locations for the best deals, and just say "somewhere in west Wales".
    Regards,

Jerry

It was from the New Hedges bootsale just outside Saundersfoot. It was a bit annoying actually. She told me she had the group in the car somewhere but had not got to it yet so she promised to put it aside for me when she found it. When I came back she had found it and got it out and as soon as she did that two dealer types made a bee line for the stall and virtually tried to snatch the stuff off me and were standing by for me to put it down. Although it put the pressure on a bit, they were obviously not willing to pay a collector's price

A bit outside my area. S. Pembs so I'll let you off with a warning this time.

Sounds like you did well to get it then.
    Regards,

Jerry

The gaiters are later in date and are of the same design as those issued to the ATS, excepet they are black and not brown leather. Lez has showed some ATS ones on the forum (in fact she has a new pair to show) These have been attributed to those worn by Miners. We have seen these dyed (almost painted) brown in order to pass them off as ATS. We seen to recall they were marked "NCB" for National Coal Board, which would make them post WW2.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade. I have followed your information and it does seem that you are correct. I cannot find any markings on them except for a very faint W /|\ D on the inside of one. Obviously this was an assumption on the part of his relative that they must have belonged to him when in fact they didn't.