Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie Helmet 10th Battalion

Article about: hello, I finally managed to acquire a long sought after 10th battalion "Fighting 10th" MkI brodie helmet. Well known as one of the toughest battalions in the CEF, recruits came mos

?

Default WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie Helmet 10th Battalion

hello, I finally managed to acquire a long sought after 10th battalion "Fighting 10th" MkI brodie helmet. Well known as one of the toughest battalions in the CEF, recruits came mostly Alberta and Manitoba (where I'm from) with a large number coming from the militia. Helmet has a real nice patina, solid liner with a red patent stamp, has a layer of ancient dust and dirt on it ( I have no intention of cleaning it), chinstrap is hanging on by a thread and is quite dry and fragile. A very faint stamped "V" is the only mfr's marking I can find which I believe is Vickars Ltd. There is no rubber donut under the felt pad indicating a pre late 1917 manufacturing date.

Hope you like it, cheers

Keith

WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th BattalionWW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th BattalionWW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th BattalionWW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion

?

Not an expert on these!!!! But my observations show that there is wear to the finish below the red paint which if this was original to the helmet it would show of the emblem painted on it. My thought are that it was added to the helmet to increase the value.
    Just My 2 centavos and please wait for the Experts to chime in.

Semper Fi
    Phil

There is no reason there shouldn't be wear under the insignia. Who knows how long the soldier wore the helmet before the order came down to paint the insignia?

It looks ok to me. Its always difficult to be a 100% but the insignia and other paintwork look to have consistent wear. Unfortunately here in the UK we have a faker of painted unit insignia on brodie shells and some have fetched high prices.

regards

Mark

?

These painted "Badges" have always been a problem, I cannot remember seeing any Wartime photos with the insignia visible

How ever I do remember seeing an order for the 5 CMR dated Nov 18th 1918 to paint insignia on their helmets "using the Paint and stencil provided"

I am thinking this was done for the March into Germany.

Also if we remember correctly, the Canadian Corp was Ordered to remove all insignia during their move to the Start off point for the Aug 1918 Offensive, this was done to decieve the Germans into not knowing where the Canadian Corp was or where it was moving to.
    If the helmets were painted before that, then this should have been removed.

Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

CBH
    ?

I hope it turns out to be original paint , it's a lovely helmet . I have two Brodie's with painted flashes both are in much worse shape than yours . But the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery is a family helmet so is very special to me , the other has the faint remains of a 5th Division flash . Good Luck .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion   WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion  

WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion   WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion  

Nice helmet Keith!
    I wonder if it may be that the badge was painted in the occasion, or after, the return to home, this also would justify for any signs wear beneath it.
    It's just an idea, but for example I heard that among American soldiers was a practice sometimes used.

Cheers
    Last edited by OldSteel; 05-15-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add info

?

Default Painted Helmet Insignia

Hi Dean, a wartime photo of a painted helmet insignia is definitely rare. This one of the 42nd Bn Royal Highlanders of Canada at Canal du Nord (1918) is the only one I could recall. I assumed most if not all painted insignia was applied at the very end of the war if not just after hostilities ceased. I would imagine a great deal of pride for one's battalion or unit would have been a motivating factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 Canadian CEF MKI Brodie  Helmet 10th Battalion 

?

Hi again.

As I mentioned, I have seen the order, telling the 5 CMR to paint the insignia on thier lids, and that order was dated Nov 18 1918, a week after the war was halted. So perhaps this was the case for the other Battns, I think the higher Staff made have had Insignia on their helmets earlier, but I really can't say.

Take Care

Dean

The 5th CMR were part of the 3rd Canadian Division, and the units in the 3rd Division painted their helmets gray with a stenciled representation of their cap badge after the war. That is most likely what the order is referring to.

The block insignia, which for most units consisted of a rectangle surmounted by a triangle, square, circle or semicircle were in use by the Canadian Corps by the last few months of the war.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast