Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww1 experimental helmets

Article about: Hopefully below are some pics of 2 US experimental helmets. The first being a US manufactured model 1917 helmet which has the experimental german style liner. Some were freshly manufactured

Default ww1 experimental helmets

Hopefully below are some pics of 2 US experimental helmets.
    The first being a US manufactured model 1917 helmet which has the experimental german style liner. Some were freshly manufactured and others were simply converted from captured stock. In addition to the leather 3 pad liner it has a foam insert instead of a rubber doughnut.
    The second helmet is a US No.5 experimental helmet. These were manufactured by Hale and Kirkburn Co (Philadelphia) during late 1917. Only about 2000 were made and are one of the few experimental helmets that were actually trialed in France (supposedly). Its chin strap is dated 7-18 (July 1918). The pics haven't picked up the camo paint finish over the original drab paint.
    I have many other egs of experimental helmets from ww1 and will post other pics if anyone is interested?

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 experimental helmets   ww1 experimental helmets  

ww1 experimental helmets   ww1 experimental helmets  

ww1 experimental helmets  

The 2nd pic is the first helmet referred to. typical I've uploaded them in the wrong order haha.

Andy

Great stuff Andy and welcome,evolution was everything and if your getting your knowledge from the "steel pots" book then your know how the Model 5 would through differant stages eventually become the Deep pot M1 Helmet,nice to see some surviving examples still out there,thanks for showing and look forward to anymore you may have............

Cheers Jake. Yep your right the steel pot book has helped. When I can I'll upload some of the experimental french and British helmets I have.
    Regards
    Andy

?

Rare helmets friend.

Cheers Steve. I like the American doughboy kit. I think they had great imagination with some of the developments they created just before and immediately after the wars end. Especially where personal protective equipment was concerned.
    Andy

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    if your getting your knowledge from the "steel pots" book then your know how the Model 5 would through differant stages eventually become the Deep pot M1 Helmet
    Development on the Model 5 stopped after 1920, aside from an odd one-off in 1928. The TS-1 helmet that eventually became the m1 was made from a m1917 helmet.

Interesting stuff mate. Thanks for the info. Has anyone got any information on which units trialled the model 5 helmet?
    Andy

I don't think they were issued very widely. It seems that it was mostly officers that wore them in the field. I have seen period photos of the Model 5 in wear by officers in the 77th Division and the 401st Field Telegraph Bn.

Thanks Ian that's great. I'll have to see if I've got a tunic badged up to any of those units. I've amassed about 40 complete ww1 US uniforms in the last 3 years.
    Have you ever seen any of the body armour the US were developing at the end of the great war? I've only ever seen war time studio photos. I wonder if any has appeared on the collectors market?
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast