Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.

Article about: Hey guys. Just got this Knife and have been told by an expert that it could be a French butchers blade used in WW1. Have looked around and have found some info. *KNIFE- FIGHTING, WWI butcher

?

Thumbs up WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.

Hey guys.
    Just got this Knife and have been told by an expert that it could be a French
    butchers blade used in WW1.
    Have looked around and have found some info.

*KNIFE- FIGHTING, WWI butcher blade type, the first fighting knives issued to troops in 1915,. 11" overall w/boot shaped grip (as most of these style have) made of antler and brass mounted, 6-1/2" small clip point, "Batisse" inside "man in moon" trademark logo. Blade has normal dark blemishes from carrying in weather, rates VG-EXC. See page 332 of Vol 2 on French Army by Mirouse/Derlele) for this knife.

My knife is also 11", but has a dark wooden handle.
    Will post pics of my knife and pics of the knifes I've found online.
    It also came with a scabbard. WWI or WWII?
    Made of metal and has a little bit of forest green paint still on it.
    Country and type?

Thanks to Richie who put me onto the right track.

Danger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.   WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.  

WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.   WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.  

WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.   WW1 French butchers blade. 1915? Trench knife.  

It's one thing to look at it with your mouth open, but it's better to shoot it gritting your teeth!

?

Can anyone confirm this?
    I've been hunting and have contacted an American dealer selling one of these right now.
    Scabbard isn't a match, wonder what type and country it comes from?
    cheers.

Hi, Danger !

The sheath is matching to an Austrian-hungarian fighting knife M1917, aka "Sturmmesser"

Cheers,
    R.

?

Hi Reibert,

Thanks mate!!
    Not a bad pair then...

Cheers