Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap

Article about: I recently bought a hard to find cotton Officers cap which i presume was for middle east service though i believe they were worn in summer on the western front. its a lime shade of green kha

Default WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap

I recently bought a hard to find cotton Officers cap which i presume was for middle east service though i believe they were worn in summer on the western front. its a lime shade of green khaki and has no sweatband . it can be easily folded away like the ors trench cap. im not sure when this pattern of cap was officially sanctioned and may have been permitted prior to the 1917 trench cap ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap   WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap  

WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap   WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap  

WW1 Lancashire Fusileer officers lightweight cotton trench cap  

A very nice looking cap!

A lovely example of a very nice cap Rob.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice example - these were not an official pattern but more of a utilitarian interpretation of permissible regulations. These were all private purchase and most uniform outfitters offered them in a variety of materials for different climates. It is interesting that yours has a grommetted cloth chinstrap versus a leather one. this cloth strap style is typically found on the 'gor blimey' with the rolled neck flap incorporated into the back of the sweatband. Originally they were intended for cold and wet weather in France but the neck flap was an obvious hot climate adaptation to keep weather off your neck.

here is an informative thread from the Great War forum with respect to WW I officers caps and their myriad of variations.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=142640