Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Medals Found

Article about: I was given these by a colleague at work the other day, he found them in the loft of a relative’s house. They were issued to his Grandfather, who was in the tank corp. His grandfather’s name

Default Re: WW1 Medals Found

Hi Jimbo, I have never actually bought an Army one, so I don't really know sorry. Only got my Great Uncle's RNAS record.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,
    Just thought i would let you know. The gentleman that gave me these items has also come across some other bits relating to E A Johnston.
    There were 3 large envelopes containing ww1 papers/documents!
    Within these papers was a copy of his original sign-up paper confirming that he was to serve his country.
    Transfer papers from the Royal engineers (originally joined this regiment), to the machine gun corps, and then to the 15th battalion Tank corp.
    Then admittance paperwork from the hospitals he was sent to after being wounded!
    Finally, de-mob papers along with a certificate to prove his involvement in the various regiments during the war.
    Lastly, I was also given an envelope containing the badges in the picture below!
    This makes the medals much more valuable to myself, and gives me a good start to build up a profile of his activities during the war!
    Jimbo

WW1 Medals Found

Superb! This is a great little group! Love the Lancashire titles.

Cheers, Ade.

Jimbo,

Edward Arthur Johnston was born in July 1885, in Liverpool, where he also resided. He was 5ft 4.5in tall and was a plumber prior to joining the army and at some point had suffered from a hernia as he had a scar from the subsequent operation. He also wore dentures as well as having a mole in the small of his back. His wife was Ethel Johnston (m. 9.9.1912) and they resided at 7 Fishguard Street, Everton, Liverpool. One child is recorded, Edward Arthur Johnston, b.14.7.1913.

He volunteered for service 9.12.1915 as Sapper No.1553 Lancashire Fortress (549th Field Service Coy), Royal Engineers, a Territorial unit where his trade was that of a plumber - the same as his civillian job.

He was mobilised 15.6.1916. He was compulsarily transferred to the Tank Corps on 19.1.1918 from B Coy of the above RE unit, and was based in Wareham (Bovington - home of the tank museum), Dorset with C Coy; 15th Btn, Tank Corps (Machine Gun Section). He was graded "Superior" in his trade but never served above the rank of private.

In April 1918 he was granted embarkation leave but was not given a travel warrant for his rail fare to Liverpool, so he consequently tried to reclaim the 19s 5.5d that he had expended out of his own pocket. He was successful in his claim, receiving his refund in February 1920! He left for France from Southampton on 8.7.1918, arriving for service at Le Havre the next day.

On 27th September 1918 he suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg and left hand that was considered superficial although he spent 45 days in hospital in the UK receiving treatment. Interestingly he was readmitted to Catterick hospital 23.11.1918 (AFTER armistice) for further treatment to the right hand. He would have been entitled to have worn a wound stripe on his left arm of his tunic.

He was discharged from the army 24.12.1918, but not due to his injuries and he was not entitled to a pension although he had been examined for one. He was officially demobilsed on 19.1.1919.

His medals comprise of the British War Medal (silver one); Victory Medal (gold coloured one), which were sent to him on 10.9.1921. These are the two most common British campaign medals ever awarded (6 million+) although ones named to the Tank Corps are considered more desirable than most.

There are two sets of records for this chap - his pension assesment papers and his service papers.

Hopefully this information will add a little more to the story of the man behind the medals.

Regards.
    Last edited by skypilot; 11-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks for the great and very detailed update.

Cheers, Ade.

Not a problem - happy to help.

?

Thanks very much skypilot for the interesting info!
    The information you found was excellent detail, most of which unknown to me.
    Can i ask where you got the information from/reasearched it?
    Other things i would be very keen to find out are; where abouts in France he was wounded, and served?
    Many Thanks Again
    Jimbo

Ancestry are offering free access to three sets of military records THIS WEEK (week of 11 Nov.):
    British Army WW1 Service Records 1914-20
    Ditto Pension records
    Ditto Medal Cards

http://blogs.ancestry.com/uk/2010/11...s-announcement

Hope I got that right.

So move fast if you're interested.

Pat

Quote by Jimbo View Post
    Can i ask where you got the information from/reasearched it?
    Other things i would be very keen to find out are; where abouts in France he was wounded, and served?
    Many Thanks Again
    Jimbo
    Jimbo,

Most of the info came from his service record and pension papers.

Regarding service location, you'd have to check battalion diaries - they may be available to download at The National Archives although my cursory search shows that they aren't available for the 15th Bn, if not you'll need to visit or get a researcher to do it. All I can tell you is that he disembarked in France at Le Havre and was admitted to hospital in Rouen.

I have taken the plunge and joined Ancestry. Not cheap but worth it in the long run.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast