Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 MK I Brodie Helmet, 2nd Canadian Tank Bn

Article about: I acquired this named MK I a few years ago, heavy sand texture over a dark green paint and there appears to be a white painted insignia slightly visible. Manufacturer / Steel Supplier stamp,

?

Default WW1 MK I Brodie Helmet, 2nd Canadian Tank Bn

WW1  MK I Brodie Helmet, 2nd Canadian Tank Bn

I acquired this named MK I a few years ago, heavy sand texture over a dark green paint and there appears to be a white painted insignia slightly visible. Manufacturer / Steel Supplier stamp, D/A 94 for James Dixon & Sons, Edgar Allan & Co. There is a rubber ring under the padding indicating a 1917 issued helmet. Named to Edward Harold Lobb 343358, enlisted May 8, 1918 with the 72nd (Queen's) Artillery Battery and was later transferred to the 2nd Canadian Tank Battalion on Sep. 30, 1918. Arrived in England on Oct. 18, 1918 but never saw action as the war ended soon after.

The 2nd Canadian Tank Battalion was organized in September 1918 and mobilized at Petawawa with most recruits derived from artillery personnel training at the camp.

While Edward never saw action, I really do like the association of this helmet with a Canadian tank battalion.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
    KD

That's a nice one with an interesting history.

Also interesting is that it was salvaged and refurbished, then reissued.

A great example, very good.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Really nice helmet, great look to it.

That's a very nice helmet, I have a raw edge with the same finish.

?

It definitely looks like it could be a reissue. I'm speculating here but the partially buried insignia could be artillery for the 72nd battery and was subsequently covered with the sand texture when he was transferred to the tank battalion. Thanks for your comments. Cheers!

CBH
    ?

Great looking helmet . Can I ask you birkie about your avatar photo , is he a Native soldier from WWI . Could you post the photo . Thanks

?

Default Francis Pegahmagabow

Hi Chris
    My avatar picture is of Francis Pegahmagabow "Peggy" from the Shawanaga First Nation in southern Ontario. He was a sniper with the 1st Canadian Battalion and was credtied with an astounding 378 kills using his Ross rifle. Probably one of Canada's greatest heroes who never got the respect and honour he deserved.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1  MK I Brodie Helmet, 2nd Canadian Tank Bn  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1  MK I Brodie Helmet, 2nd Canadian Tank Bn 
    Last edited by birkie; 09-29-2016 at 09:49 PM.

CBH
    ?

Thank you for sharing , he looks to be wearing a Victorian Native trade metal in the smaller photo . I've never seen that before . This is a very under represented piece of Canadian history , thanks for bringing it to light . You should start a tread regarding him . Cheers and thanks again .

As always, awesome helmet Keith!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast