Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Pension document?

Article about: I recieved this from my Grandfather who found it in an attic wth a few other personal love letters and things.. today is the first day i'v looked at it since i got it 6 years ago as he past

Default WW1 Pension document?

I recieved this from my Grandfather who found it in an attic wth a few other personal love letters and things.. today is the first day i'v looked at it since i got it 6 years ago as he past away of lung cancer

I am not sure if it is real and that is what im posting it here for!

It entitles Augustus Carroll ( Private. Co. B. 144th regiment Illinois Infantry) to a payment of fifteen and a half dollars per month from December 1914 to nineteen dollars a month from Dec. 25 1918 and twenty-two and one half dollars per month starting on Dec. 25 1923..

This document is singed by the secretary of the interior? and is also stamped with their insignia and is dated in many ways but for what i can understand it was giving the this man on the 12 of february 1915 it has update peices on the inside witch proves raise of pention throughout the years..

i found this very interesting and would like to know more about it and if it is real!

thanks for looking

Default Re: WW1 Pension document?

Hi Lange, that is a fabulous document and it is indeed authentic. Augustus was a private in the Union Army. Upon googling it you can get alot of info. The 144th was put together on 10/21/1864, in Alton Ill. That was a pretty darn good pension in those days. There is some funny stuff written into the pension. On that one page from 1918, his pension was $30.00 a month. But if he lived to be 72 years old, it got increased to $32.00 a month. $2.00 back then probably would have bought a whole keg of beer.

Jay

thank you varey much for your information!

and it would be varey nice to buy a keg for 2 bucks! NOT THAT IM A DRINKER !!!!!!

opon putting the document back in the frame it came in i found another document between a peice of paper and a peice of cardbord backing.. it is the discharge paper for the same person! this means that the pention is for a civil war servivor! so i will delete this post soon.. !