Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.

Article about: Hey guys, I think my family has finally cottoned on to what I like. Although I don't really collect Police items, I was surprised to be giving these as a treat from a family member. Awarded

?

Default WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.

Hey guys,

I think my family has finally cottoned on to what I like.
    Although I don't really collect Police items, I was surprised to be giving these as a treat from a family member.

Awarded to George D Brown.
    Metropolitan Special Constabulary Long Service 1914.
    For faithful service in the special constabulary medal.
    Hat badge.

This medal was established by King George V in August of 1918 "in consideration of the faithful and devoted service" of the Special Constabulary during the First World War, "and also of providing a means of recognizing continued and efficient service" in the future. The regulations were amended in 1920, 1929, 1930, 1937, 1940 and 1945.

The medal is in bronze with the Sovereign's effigy on the obverse, and on the reverse there is an inscription "FOR FAITHFUL SERVICE IN THE SPECIAL CONSTABULARY" half surrounded from bottom to right by a semi-circular spray of laurel.

To qualify during the two World Wars a special constable must have served without pay for not less than three years, and during that period have performed at least fifty police duties a year, and be recommended by a chief officer of Police as willing and competent to discharge the duties of special constable as required. A bar, "THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918" was awarded with the medal to those who qualified.

In peace the medal is granted after nine years' service provided the fifty duties a year have been performed, and the candidate is recommend; by a chief officer of Police. A bar, worded "LONG SERVICE", is awarded for each successive period of ten years, provided the fifty duties a year have been performed. It is to be noted that service in both World Wars counts treble.

I heard or read somewhere that the main purpose of the special constabulary was to catch German spies and stop them messing about with the water supply in England during WW1.
    Is that right?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.   WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.  

WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.   WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.  

WW1 Police medals - George D Brown.  

jwp
    ?

Great medal !, see my recent purchase on this thread : WW1 Special Constable's medal

John.

?

Cheers John.
    I'm still new to these medals.
    First time I have ever seen them.