Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Royal Engineers Marked Binoculars

Article about: This is the latest addition to my binocular collection. The binos themselves are marked with the Broad Arrow and S.4 M.2876. The S.4 I believe was the grading given by the army when these bi

Default WW1 Royal Engineers Marked Binoculars

This is the latest addition to my binocular collection. The binos themselves are marked with the Broad Arrow and S.4 M.2876. The S.4 I believe was the grading given by the army when these binos were required from civilian stocks. Anyway the interesting thing about these is the case marking 4 over 82 RE which I take to mean No. 4 Section 82nd Field Company Royal Engineers (I am open to correction though). If this is the case this unit saw action along the Western Front from Loos to the Sambre attached to the 19th and later 18th Divisions. 82nd Field Company, Royal Engineers

Does anyone agree that the 4 would be the section number or could it be something else? Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Royal Engineers Marked Binoculars   WW1 Royal Engineers Marked Binoculars