Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Sandbags

Article about: Hi. I know this maybe a tricky question but I have a WW1 embroidery and I am trying to work out if it was made from and old sandbag as the material seems to be a course, Hessian type fabric.

Default WW1 Sandbags

Hi.

I know this maybe a tricky question but I have a WW1 embroidery and I am trying to work out if it was made from and old sandbag as the material seems to be a course, Hessian type fabric. I do not have any detailed pics of it at the moment so I am asking if anyone has any info or pics of original ww1 sandbags (again, I realise this may not be possible as im sure theres not many floating around). Any help would be most appreciated, Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Sandbags  

Default Re: WW1 Sandbags

The quality looks too good to be a sandbag.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Does it say 2nd KINGS OWN regiment, it should read "Royal Rgt" surely, thats a pretty bad mistake for a member of his Rgt not to include the Royal notation, but it could have been sewn by a member of his family who was'nt versed in the military style of named rgts

Hi, yes it does just say 2nd Kings Own Regiment. From the limited research I have done (i.e. wikipedia) the regiment was designated the The Kings Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) in 1921, prior to that it was The Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). Based on this my assumption is that he was just abbreviating the regiment's full title? But you could be right about the family member idea. As for the quality of sandbags, I couldnt say, its just that the size and texture seemed to be similar, but there may be nothing in it.

Cheers for the responses.