Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 U.S. collar discs

Article about: Anybody know what to look for if a collar disc is fake. I heard certain ones are made for a profit. Last I heard, it has something to do with the shank? What other tell tale signs should I l

?

Default WW1 U.S. collar discs

Anybody know what to look for if a collar disc is fake. I heard certain ones are made for a profit. Last I heard, it has something to do with the shank? What other tell tale signs should I look for?

No idea sorry. But I don't think these are widely faked?

But this is a nice site:

Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Excellent info on that website. I'd never heard of a problem with the disks being faked either, but it wouldn't much surprise me these days to hear that they do...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Default fakes

That is a good site Ade and am aware of it but it doesn't touch on fakes. The more rare and expensive the disc is, the more likely it is faked. Marine emblem and aviation are the tops in fakes, repro's and restrikes. I have Dr. Scipios book on collar disks and although he mentions fakes widely made on particular one's, he does not state how to spot one and what to look for. Out of 20+ discs I have, at least 2 are suspect.

?

Default pics

Here are the 2 I suspect. One is railway transportation and the other, transportation.WW1  U.S. collar discsWW1  U.S. collar discs

?

They are reproduced.

Some info here:
    Restrike WW1 Collar Disks - ARMY - U.S. Militaria Forum

WWI collar discs. - REAL OR WHAT? - U.S. Militaria Forum

There are other threads on the US Forum.
    Regards,
    John

?

Quote by denfly View Post
    Here are the 2 I suspect. One is railway transportation and the other, transportation.WW1  U.S. collar discsWW1  U.S. collar discs
    Much clearer detailed macro pictures are needed of both sides of the disks and the screw backs. I have a Motor Transport Corps disk, but it is hard to compare due to the blurry pictures.
    Regards,
    John

?

The US Military forum thread is an excellent reference.
    Yes, as all other military items, WW I US Collar tabs are highly reproduced. Even $10.00 US for a common tab considering that the item is just a little more than a quarter ounce of stamped and soldered bronze is profitable. Harder or more popular unit tabs to find start at $30,00 and go up. Rare numbered regiment and company tabs, such as those that served in Italy and Northern Russia are costly, $200.00 and up.
    There are dubious dealers in every field.

?

Default pics

Here are some more pics. I apologize, I have a lousy camaera. For some reason, it focuses great on an image but then it comes out blurred.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1  U.S. collar discs   WW1  U.S. collar discs  

WW1  U.S. collar discs  

?

Default Thanks

Thanks Steve, I knew I wasn't going crazy. And yes you are right about certain units also being faked. I can see why those can be faked. Yes the Polar Bear expedition unit could grab a hefty amount of $$$ as well as messenger service with the greyhound and electricians with the lightning bolts. I thought because the ones I have were made in France for the AEF looked different but you believe these are fakes or repros? Darn. I'm not looking at money value but it's scarce use actually. Well, if you know where I can get a repro rail transport facing the right to match my left, LOL.