Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1? Uniform Jacket

Article about: Hello all, I wonder if anyone can give me some information regarding this jacket? My Daughter visited yesterday and asked me if any of my 'expert friends' knew any thing about the North Some

Default WW1? Uniform Jacket

Hello all,
    I wonder if anyone can give me some information regarding this jacket?
    My Daughter visited yesterday and asked me if any of my 'expert friends' knew any thing about the North Somerset Yeomanry. She was having a clear out and found it at the back of a wardrobe. Apparently she used to wear it in the early 1980's when such things were fashionable! Now she want's to know if it is worth selling and knew that I would have a fit if she had just binned it! I've never heard of the NSY and am guessing it may be WW1 as the buttons and collar insignia seem to have a George V monogram and crown. I'm very tempted to buy it myself, but as we all know, The collection will expand according to the available space, and I'm rapidly running out of walls!
    Any help would be much appreciated?
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1? Uniform Jacket   WW1? Uniform Jacket  

WW1? Uniform Jacket   WW1? Uniform Jacket  

Default Re: WW1? Uniform Jacket

Hi Navyman,

Take a look at this, a brief precis. Somerset Military Museum - North Somerset Yeomanry

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Many thanks Ned,
    The link has a lot of information which is very handy. I'll get in touch with the museum and see if they can date it.
    All best,
    Guy.

?

my god that is a beauty.

Hello Adept,
    Thanks for your comment, I'm hoping to hear from a local museum about the jacket. Shame you are so far away, as you may have been interested in it ?
    I'm already thinking about buying it myself, collecting fever strikes again!
    Best regards,
    Guy.

?

that would have been quite the experience, shame the capital of dubstep and dnb (as bristol is called), is so very far away.when and if you buy it i would very much like if possible some photos. thanks from far away

I will take some more pictures for you when it's all been sorted out. I'm not sure if I will get a reply from the museum soon as I understand they are closed for renovation at the moment.
    Best regards,
    Guy.

?

man just make sure you dont give it to or sell it to a museum! they are HORRIBLE! it will be stuffed in a back room and NEVER displayed for enthusiasts to see. Museums have turned out to be the worst scammers and dissapointments in this modern day. You will see it on craigslist for sale by one of the musuem employees a year later! Too nice of a piece to be thrown away like that! lol GREAT FIND! and i wouldnt hesitate to add that to your collection. There is ALWAYS room for another Beauty in the house! haha

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    man just make sure you dont give it to or sell it to a museum! they are HORRIBLE! it will be stuffed in a back room and NEVER displayed for enthusiasts to see. Museums have turned out to be the worst scammers and dissapointments in this modern day. You will see it on craigslist for sale by one of the musuem employees a year later! Too nice of a piece to be thrown away like that! lol GREAT FIND! and i wouldnt hesitate to add that to your collection. There is ALWAYS room for another Beauty in the house! haha
    Hello Panzer1031
    It's already hanging in my hallway, I can't bear to part with it. Now all I have to do is work out a reasonable price to pay my daughter for it. Any suggestions, I havn't a clue?
    I've just tried it on but unfortunately it's just a bit too small for me, can't do up the buttons!
    I understand that we have all grown a bit since WW1?

Cheers,
    navyman.