Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 US 91st Division Helmet

Article about: Hi all. I just got this US Army 91st Division marked helmet, WW1. It isn't in very good shape, and only has a bit of liner and half a chin strap, but it wasn't very expensive, either. It's m

Default WW1 US 91st Division Helmet

Hi all. I just got this US Army 91st Division marked helmet, WW1. It isn't in very good shape, and only has a bit of liner and half a chin strap, but it wasn't very expensive, either. It's my first WW1 helmet, and I hope to find more. I wanted to get it to display a picture of my Grandfather in his uniform, with a medal and some insignia that I have, as well as a copy of his discharge certificate.

WW1 US 91st Division HelmetWW1 US 91st Division HelmetWW1 US 91st Division Helmet

It has what appears to be ZC 178 stamped inside the rim.

I was wondering if I should attempt to clean it up a bit, if I can do that without hurting the insignia. There doesn't appear to be much if any paint left on the helmet.

Default Re: WW1 US 91st Division Helmet

nice ww I grouping,,,

?

I would leave it alone, perhaps some renaissance wax would help and it may bring out the decal a little more

nice helmet I would just keep it like this,tell us about your grandfather was he in Meuse Argonne.

?

You can use oxaclic acid at 10 parts water to 1 part oxaclic acid powder. It will clear off most of the rust bring back the helmets original paint and not harm the painted insignia. Use rubber gloves as it will iritate your skin. It will not burn you though.
    SteveR

cricketchris1944 - I only know that my Grandfather was wounded, and that he was in the trenches, as he told my father a bit about it, but not much. We don't have any information about his unit or where he was. He did draw some kind of a disability payment, and we have a records request in but don't know if anything survived the 1973 fire at the personnel records center.
    SteveR - I will obtain some oxalic acid and give that a try. I am also going to try to get a better specimen of helmet as well.
    Thank you.

I have now determined that my grandfather served with the 79th Infantry Division, and was in the Meuse-Argonne. He was wounded, and that is the extent of my knowledge at this time.
    I have this display, along with the helmet. Hopefully as time progresses I can add to it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 US 91st Division Helmet  

Very nice to know,I just saw a grouping of uniforms and gear from that division for 240$.
    If you are interrest tell me will try to find it again.

If you have that information available I would be very interested. Thanks!

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    If you have that information available I would be very interested. Thanks!
    summer vacation militaria.
    under ww1 items.
    hope this help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast