Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 US DOUGHBOY Helmet Question...

Article about: The keystone is on the side. One side or both sides? Typically unit insignia would be on the front.

?

Default WW1 US DOUGHBOY Helmet Question...

Hello Everyone,
    I am a newcomer to the forums and I was wondering if I could get a little help. I am a 15 yr old collector of ww2 and ww1 military and I recently picked up this ww1 helmet. With ww1 helmets I know that the emblems can be a little tricky to figure out and I am still learning about the different types of emblems. If someone would like to tell me what this emblem means, or for what regiment or battalion it was for, that would be great. Thank you for reading and take a look at the picture of the helmet below.

Thanks for reading. I got stumped while looking for this emblem. Hopefully you guys will be able to figure this puzzle out!
    Thanks, Ninny

- - Updated - -

Sorry for the picture being sideways, the program put it that way.

Default Re: WW1 US DOUGH Helmet Question...

This is the 28th
    bloody bucket

chris

It is for the 28th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army. I have no idea if it is original or not from this photo. For whatever reason, 28th I.D. WWI stuff turns up quite frequently. Welcome to the forum!

Can you show us a picture of the inside of the helmet? Does it have its liner, chin strap, etc?

?

Thank you! How rare do you think these helmets are, concerning it's condition and maybe a value estimate? Just to know.

Yes, does it have a liner inside? I'm just curious.

?

Here is a picture of the inside I took.

There is a bit of the middle strap and what appears to be some old wool covering the back.

?

Default Re: WW1 US DOUGHBOY Helmet Question...

Nice ww1 helmet closeup of the decal needed to confirm that this is period

Hello, As has been stated above, this emblem is from the 28th Infantry Division-a unit of the National Guard. The emblem is a "Keystone"-which represents Pennsylvania. The Division was raised from the Pennsylvania National Guards in 1879. The Keystone on your helmet is quite Large. One such helmet that I had years ago was also from this Division, but the Keystone was considerably smaller and abit faded in color after nearly 100 years. To be quite honest, I am not liking this Keystone all that much.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I just took some pictures of the emblem close up, one with flash, one without flash. Hope this helps.

Hope these pictures help! If any of you want to see a specific part of the helmet, let me know and I will take a picture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast