Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 V. A. D. uniform

Article about: Another new addition to my WW1 collection, a complete V. A. D. uniform from around 1915 onwards. Apparently you can date them from the style of head-cover - and whether it has the Red Cross

Default WW1 V. A. D. uniform

Another new addition to my WW1 collection, a complete V. A. D. uniform from around 1915 onwards. Apparently you can date them from the style of head-cover - and whether it has the Red Cross on the head cover. The uniform consists of dress, stiff white detachable collar - apparently this was to make the nurses keep their heads erect at all times, white apron with Red Cross, white starched belt (27 inch waist), and white detachable lower arm covers. The uniform was supplied by 'Garrould' of London, and every piece is named to 'M Somervail.' On the arms of the dress are white 'service' stripes - which indicate service with the Joint war Committee. Red stripes indicated that the nurse was 'efficient,' Written in ink on the inside of the collar is 'Ambulance.' This shouldn't be viewed in the same way we think of ambulances in the 21st century. Back in the Great War a 'Field Ambulance' was also a dressing station at, or near the front line.

The condition of the whole uniform is quite astonishing, there is no moth - and just a slight bit of fraying to the hem of the dress. There is very slight soiling to the detachable parts, but it is obvious that this uniform was stored away with care by the owner. Perhaps an indication of the obvious pride she had in tending to wounded soldiers. Complete uniforms of this type rarely come up for sale. I know of one other currently on sale for £750. Whether it is worth that much I really do not know, but condition-wise it doesn't even come close to this - and mine was almost being given away!

I have great admiration for the way the V. A. D's looked after our fighting troops, and I only purchased this to stop it being broken up as a set if no-one showed interest in the uniform. Sadly, this happens to many uniforms these days, and it isn't the first time I have purchased such items to preserve them.

WW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniform

Good on ya Steve!....

It should look nice Steve, suits you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It should look nice Steve, suits you.
    Its the waist-belt that's the problem... 27 inches is just a fraction to small to get around my thigh... When I get my gender re-assessed, I may wear it to the pub. On a serious note though, a lady friend of the family (in her 80's) used to be a nurse, and when she saw the uniform she had it on in a flash. The amount of interest this has generated amongst friends and family is quite amazing.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Great to see items like this being cared for, well deserved and long overdue.

A shame you did not get a pic of your young model in it Steve.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Steve, a man after my own heart. These fella's here have been trying to get me to "model" my WW2 VAD uniform ever since I mentioned it! A great piece and an item that I personally feel will only become more and more appreciated. Leon.WW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniformWW1 V. A. D. uniform

There doesn't appear to be a great deal of difference between the WW2 version and the WW1 version Leon. There is a good website on the uniforms called 'Scarlet Finders.' Its well worth a visit. Apparently, the British Red Cross hold all the records on the V. A. D's.

CBH
    ?

Nice items , a very under appreciated area of war memorabilia . Too real maybe , all Gore no Glory .