Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW1 Victory Medal - US

Article about: This is my Great-Grandfather's WW1 Victory Medal with 3 battle clasps - mint condition. He fought with the 108th Infantry Regiment - 27th Infantry Division - II Corps. The 27th ID was made u

?

Default WW1 Victory Medal - US

This is my Great-Grandfather's WW1 Victory Medal with 3 battle clasps. Corporal Frederick Woodhull fought with L Company - 3rd Battalion - 108th Infantry Regiment - 54th Brigade - 27th Infantry Division - II Corps. The 27th ID was made up of New York State National Guardsmen.

The II Corps was unique because it was separated from the AEF and subordinated to the British 4th Army fighting in Belgium during the Ypres-Lys Campaign. Later they fought in the Somme Offensive, including the Battle of St. Quentin Canal, made famous for "Breaking the Hindenburg Line" on 29 SEP 1918. The Defensive Sector Clasp is for the artillery and gas attacks that they experienced while they were marching between sectors from Belgium to France. He was wounded on 18 OCT 1918 at the Battle of Jonc de Mer Ridge near St. Souplet, France. I hope this thread will help to provide some meaningful context about why we preserve these medals.

WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US

Here is his WW1 Service Card - note that the date of wounding is incorrect, it is listed as 3 NOV 1918, however, this is actually the date when he arrived at an American hospital in the UK. Prior to that he spent a few weeks at a British hospital located in Bristol after he had been evacuated from Rouen, France. I also added two newspaper articles, I discovered them in the Chemung County Historical Society archives while I was researching him. The first shows his correct date and location of wounding, the second article describes some of the battle activities of the 27th ID and his returning home on Christmas Day 25 DEC 1918. Wounded soldiers were initially shipped directly home without returning to their unit first, I believe the policy was changed in early-1919.
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US

These are his Purple Heart and WW1 Victory Medal:
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    WW1 Victory Medal - US
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Victory Medal - US   WW1 Victory Medal - US  

Last edited by Mint; 04-12-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added WW1 Service Card & Purple Heart

Very nice.. Looks to be in very fine condition..

You must be very happy to have this..

Smitty

?

Very nice

Very nice and one to be proud to have. I’m parcel to the 27th because I have a WW1 Chaplains helmet from the 27th division.

Marty

- - ------- - -

Is the helmet you posted your grandfathers?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Very nice.. Looks to be in very fine condition..

You must be very happy to have this..

Smitty
    Yes it is something special to be in possession of, you can feel the weight of its reality.

Thank you for the clarification I will edit the description to say very fine condition.

- - ------- - -

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Very nice and one to be proud to have. I’m parcel to the 27th because I have a WW1 Chaplains helmet from the 27th division.

Marty

- - ------- - -

Is the helmet you posted your grandfathers?

Marty
    Thank you! Unfortunately that is not my helmet, I just added it for effect.

Chaplain Peter Kroll
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Victory Medal - US  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

RMD
    ?

Mint.... Dang, what a cool back story! And the medal itself is amazing! Beautiful condition. A prize indeed. I especially like the fasces. So cool.

Thanks for posting the photo. If you don't mind, I was going to copy the picture and add it into my album of, Historical Images, on my page.

Take care..... ...... .. .

MAP
    ?

Great item and family history! Congrats!

I have a 27th helmet like Marty. They pop up every now and then.

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Great item and family history! Congrats!

I have a 27th helmet like Marty. They pop up every now and then.

2 Flashed US Brodie M1917 Helmets
    Great helmets in your collection, love the 27th & 77th! I have another relative who was in E Company - 302nd Ammunition Train - 77 Infantry Division - III Corps. Here is his service card:
    WW1 Victory Medal - US

?

Quote by RMD View Post
    Mint.... Dang, what a cool back story! And the medal itself is amazing! Beautiful condition. A prize indeed. I especially like the fasces. So cool.

Thanks for posting the photo. If you don't mind, I was going to copy the picture and add it into my album of, Historical Images, on my page.

Take care..... ...... .. .
    Thank you, yes you may keep a copy!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast