Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 or WW2 Canteen?

Article about: I bought this canteen along with a 1914 stamped leather carrier. I knew that ww1 canteen were painted with blue enamel so I didnt think anything of it. Then, I read that ww1 british and ww2

?

Default WW1 or WW2 Canteen?

I bought this canteen along with a 1914 stamped leather carrier. I knew that ww1 canteen were painted with blue enamel so I didnt think anything of it. Then, I read that ww1 british and ww2 rcaf are very similar because they painted them blue aswell. and apparently the only way to tell is if there is a small ring attached to either the neck or shoulder of the bottle. ww1 canteens are supposed to have the cord sewn onto the wool. (this is what I read)

My canteen clearly feels and looks like there is a ring on the shoulder which the cord is tied to.

I'm no pro on canteens. the wool looks like its been sitting in the 1914 carrier for quite a while. Can anyone tell me what that think of it? that would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 or WW2 Canteen?   WW1 or WW2 Canteen?  

WW1 or WW2 Canteen?   WW1 or WW2 Canteen?  

CBH
    ?

Hopefully Karkee will see this tread and give you a reply , looks WWI to me . Good luck
    Cheers Chris

?

As you say, it looks like there's a wire loop under the felt with the stopper string attached to it, that does indeed make it a WWII MKVII water bottle however, it might be Canadian as Brit bottles had the loop on the neck (as far as I can remember) and Canadian made bottles had the loop further away.

Tony

?

Thanks a lot for the reply! I had a feeling it was WW2.

?

I've just found Khakee's excellent thread on these, it's worth checking to see exactly which kind of bottle you have as various Commonwealth countries made them with slight differences Distinguishing Cobalt Blue Mk VI and Mk VII Water-Bottles

Tony