Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Article about: Hi guys. I'd like your thoughts about this one. I can't find anything about this captain... some of you have resources that I don't. Any help would be appreciated.

Default WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Hi guys.

I'd like your thoughts about this one.

I can't find anything about this captain... some of you have resources that I don't. Any help would be appreciated.

WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Default Re: WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Found a little

The Toronto World - Google News Archive Search

The same entry in the London Gazette

Viewing Page 2480 of Issue 29981

Attestation form found here

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

It also seems that you can order a paper copy of his file.

Unit history

First World War.com - Feature Articles - The Canadian Expeditionary Force: Central Ontario Regiment

I have also found references to a Harold Parke as a former North West Mounted Police officer but I can't be sure it is the same man.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian  
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian 

Default Re: WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Lovely - I collect CEF medals. Do you have the other service medals for him or just the MC? The engraving is not official, these were awarded unnamed so you see a variety of styles, sadly some more recent intended to deceive. This looks period. single MC's named or unnamed are worth about the same, often named devalues them as they cannot be used to complete other groups missing the MC, they were often separated as service medals for officers had to be claimed and many were still being issued well into the late 1930's, some never were so you have lone MC's for example but no service medals with them. The MC's if not awarded directly were mailed to the home address or designated NOK if a casualty. This would fetch about Eight Hundred dollars or so, more if you have the other officially named service medals.

Richie - that Attestation paper is for a different man - the TOS date is in Sept 1918, he would not have gone anywhere except a discharge centre by wars end.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Richie - that Attestation paper is for a different man - the TOS date is in Sept 1918, he would not have gone anywhere except a discharge centre by wars end.
    Yes I saw that date but there is also reference to previous military service in the 20 ??? so I thought it could be the same man.

It was bit hard to read, but even so if he were enlisted and attested as an officer he still would not have made it to France and would not have an MC unless he was Warrant officer perhaps. I'll look him up I my MC book when I get home.

On a hunch I went back through some medals I had bought from this person before... and was not surprised when I found these.
    WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian

Most excellent!

Score! Fantastic set!

Quote by LostDutchman View Post
    On a hunch I went back through some medals I had bought from this person before... and was not surprised when I found these.
    WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian CaptianWWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian
    "You lucky, lucky B****8d!" As the Pythons would say!!!! What a result to have a rummage and find more of the same officers group in your "spares"!!! This looks like a fantastic group of medals! Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI British Military Cross & Miniature Named to 20th Canadian Captian 

It rarely works out like that for me... my luck usually goes something like me just having sold these medals when that one comes in...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast