Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WWI British SBR and Gasmask Bag

Article about: Hi guys, I found this in an antique store in Kalama, WA yesterday for \\$60. I'm guessing that it was a 'bring back' by a doughboy to the Fort Lewis area during the war. I can't really make ou

?

Default WWI British SBR and Gasmask Bag

Hi guys,

I found this in an antique store in Kalama, WA yesterday for $60. I'm guessing that it was a 'bring back' by a doughboy to the Fort Lewis area during the war. I can't really make out the stamp on the bag, but the gasmask appears to have been partly made by Dunlop Rubber Company, Limited. Does anybody know what the small square tag on the string is for?

The tag is the "record card". Slide it out of its paper case and it unfolds into a little card with fields for Issued, Hours Worn, type of gas etc. The bits of tape on the outside are for repairing tears in the facepiece. Nice to find with the rubber valve intact which is very unusual.

Most of the bags were made by Waring and Gillow. There is sometimes a maker name stamped into the top of the filter - my SBR filter was made by Boots the Chemist.

?

If possible pull the card out and see if the mask was used in a gas attack. Always keep these masks in a ventilated area.

?

Quote by William1 View Post
    The tag is the "record card". Slide it out of its paper case and it unfolds into a little card with fields for Issued, Hours Worn, type of gas etc. The bits of tape on the outside are for repairing tears in the facepiece. Nice to find with the rubber valve intact which is very unusual.

Most of the bags were made by Waring and Gillow. There is sometimes a maker name stamped into the top of the filter - my SBR filter was made by Boots the Chemist.

Thank you William!! I didn't think I would ever find out! I looked all over the filter and couldn't find any discernable stamps (it is pretty corroded). Part of the filter is obscured by a canvas sleeve, which I'm guessing is period. I found some info a while back on the mask itself, on this thread...

AEF Gasmasks & Respirators 1917 to 1919 - Page 2 - WWI US MILITARIA - U.S. Militaria Forum

I think my mask is a first pattern British SBR with flutter-valve guard. The flutter valve itself is marked 15...could this mask date from 1915? Seems like a stretch.

I don't think I've ever seen a WWI gasmask bag marked anything but W&G, though I suppose there could have been smaller firms. "Boots the Chemist"...odd name there! lol

?

Quote by aicusv View Post
    If possible pull the card out and see if the mask was used in a gas attack. Always keep these masks in a ventilated area.
    Sorry aicusv, I already sealed the mask in double polyethylene bags! I wish I had looked before I packed it away!

?

Maybe the flutter valve itself is off of an older PH hood or something?