Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Cap Badge? Need Opinions Please

Article about: Hello All, Can I Please get opinions on this badge? Is it British WWI? Is it authentic? Is it a cap badge? Is it a regimental badge? Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions. Ed

ETF
    ?

Default WWI Cap Badge? Need Opinions Please

Hello All,

Can I Please get opinions on this badge? Is it British WWI? Is it authentic? Is it a cap badge? Is it a regimental badge?

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

Ed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Cap Badge?  Need Opinions Please   WWI Cap Badge?  Need Opinions Please  

?

Default Re: WWI Cap Badge? Need Opinions Please

I found this when I used my Google Fu and searched for R.N.A.S.

"RNAS Armoured Car Section
    RNAS armoured cars during the Battle of Gallipoli, 1915.
    The RNAS engaged in interservice rivalry on land as well as in the air, possessing for a time the UK's only mechanised land forces in the form of the RNAS Armoured Car Section made up of squadrons of Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars. Commanded by Commander Charles Samson, the section was originally equipped with unarmoured touring cars and intended to provide line of communications security and to pick up aircrew who had been forced to land in hostile territory. Samson saw the possibilities when he armed one vehicle with a Maxim gun and ambushed a German car near Cassel on 4 September 1914. He then had a shipbuilders in Dunkirk add boilerplate to his Rolls Royce and Mercedes vehicles.[24] The new armoured car squadrons were soon used to great effect forming part of Naval mechanised raiding columns against the Germans. By November 1914 the Section had become the Royal Naval Armoured Car Division (RNACD) eventually expanding to 20 squadrons. As trench warfare developed, the armoured cars could no longer operate on the Western Front and were redeployed to other theatres including the Middle East, Romania and Russia. In the summer of 1915 the RNACD was disbanded and the army took over control of armoured cars, with the units soon coming under the command of the Motor Branch of the Machine Gun Corps.[25]
    However RNAS experience of the Western Front would not be lost, No. 20 Squadron RNAS was retained under Naval control to further develop armoured vehicles for land battle, these personnel later becoming the nucleus of the team working under the Landships Committee that developed the first tanks.
    The RAF would later inherit some ex-RNAS armoured cars left in the Middle East, and during World War II, the Number 1 Armoured Car Company RAF played an important role in the defence of RAF Habbaniya when the base was attacked by Iraqi nationalists."

This is the Wiki link to it!
    Royal Naval Air Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semper Fi
    Phil

Beware these are highly faked.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The lettering is too small, the pebbling on the background should be less pronounced and the little window? at the back should be oval. Not good IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hello Gentlemen
    like Ade, not easy......
    a link:
    RNAS - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum
    cordially
    Didier

ETF
    ?

Thanks for the information guys. It is most helpful.

Ed

ETF
    ?

I've gone to the link that Didier attached and studied the photos. I agree... this one looks like a fake.

Ed

?

never saw it before