Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group

Article about: Here is an interesting group of medals that I stumbled across a few nights ago during my usual late night web surfing. BTW...I have already secured the group, so if you find it on the web, i

Default Re: WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group

This is the case that came with the medals. It looks very much like the US variation for the DSC, but there are some differences. To name a few, the US made version was a bit smaller (but same dark color), it had a white flocked base on the interior, a silk lid and had 'D.S.C.' in gold on the outside. The catch was a round push button.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Double hinged, and covered in leather.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Cased French DSC, Croix de Guerre, Victory Medal Group  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last one, sorry to bore you. Next time, I will try very hard to post something rare...just for you Major.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve,
    Well I certianly hope your happy Ollie!! You have bored me into a state of stupor, I can't seem to get off of this posting. What a magnificant and truely historical group. I would much prefer to have this than a US issue medal. I am really pleased that it has come into your possession where it will be treated with the reverence that it deserves. Truely Excellent. Keep boring us if you will.
    Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Well I certianly hope your happy Ollie!! You have bored me into a state of stupor, I can't seem to get off of this posting. What a magnificant and truely historical group. I would much prefer to have this than a US issue medal. I am really pleased that it has come into your possession where it will be treated with the reverence that it deserves. Truely Excellent. Keep boring us if you will.
    Terry
    Well Major, mission accomplished, Operation Boredom was a success! However, it is going to be a tough act to follow finding something more mundane and coma-inducing than this...but I'll try. I am quite happy that you approve, and I agree about this style of cross.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Wow!! I guess this really is booooooorrrrrriiiiiiinnnnngggg. Two hundred forty six views and only thirty four replies (mostly mine). I guess the Major, Ade, Beast and I are really a sad lot thinking that this is something special...we need to get a life. Maybe I should have posted my military-themed Beanie Baby collection instead......

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

3mk
    ?

*Yawn*

Quote by 3mk View Post
    *Yawn*
    Maybe some don't realize that the Distinguished Service Cross is second only to the Medal of Honor, or maybe there just isn't a lot of US medal interest...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

From Archive.org

“On April 28 the 104th Infantry was decorated with the
    Croix de Guerre for its work in the battle of Apremont.
    There were also 116 individual decorations given out that
    day to officers and men of the regiment.”

In World War I, the 104th Infantry became the first U.S. Army regiment to receive the fourragère of the French Croix de Guerre, after throwing back a German attack at Aprémont on April 10 to 13, 1918. As he awarded the medal to the entire unit, the French commander of the 32nd Corps d'Armée remarked, "I am proud to decorate the flag of a regiment which fought with such fortitude and courage". Fortitude et Courage has been the 104th's motto ever since.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Looking through this again, I made an error in saying that the US insignia may be French. It is a standard US produced example. Must have had a premature senior moment...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast