Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI Death plaque

Article about: Ade, your research is awesome. you never cease to amaze me.

Default Re: WWI Death plaque

Hi Gary, I have just bought his medal card index entry for you. It was only £2.

This shows what medals he was awarded. The Victory Medal and British War Medal are listed. But what I do find odd is that he was not awarded the 1914-15 Star? I thought that given he was killed in 1915 and a volunteer he would have been awarded this?

The 1914-15 Star was approved in 1918, for issue to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who served in any theatre of the War between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915.

The ommission on his card has to be a clerical error.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Death plaque  

?

Ade thank you. I would like to repay you. Alos if I was to buy the medals he was awarded would they have been named to him or are they just basic medals,and what would the price on them be WWI vintage. Gary

Hi Gary, it is my pleasure! It is my gift.

His medals should be out there, somewhere.... It is sad that they have been split form the plaque. But this often happens, families do not realise they should not break up a group and relatives divvy things up between them when folks die.

The medals were issued named. Stamped on the back of the Star or on the edge in the case of the War and Victory Medals.

Here are some useful links which shows the medals:

WW1 World War One 1914 - 15 Star Medal WWI

Naming Styles on British War Medals & General Guide

WW1 The British Victory Medal WWI

The First World War British War Medal 1914 - 1918 - 1920 WWI

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade thank you again for the help. Gary

Hi Gary, I just love doing this type of research.

By the way, he has no known grave, hence his name being on the Helles Memorial:

Helles Memorial Gallipoli

Helles Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade I agree I also like this type of research. Its nice when you know where to look. Steve glad you like the plaque Gary

Found another little snippet of info. He was actually buried at sea.

The War Graves Photographic Project

So I suspect he was either being ferried out after suffering wounds or illness?

Cheers, Ade.

Gary, I agree wih Ade over the loss of his medals, a great shame, on a negative note (sorry) it will be VERY hard to find his medals, I have been keeping an eye out (with no luck so far !) for my Great Grandfathers trio for 40 years ! (pawned in the 1950's). I wish you luck.....
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Steve good luck I think we both have a better chance of winning the lottery. But I will still look. Ade thanks for the info . Makes you think how many poor lads were buried at sea. Gary

Hi Gary, I have an update for you, which today, being Rememberance Sunday I think is very appropriate.

I have discovered a photo of him! Not sure if it would be OK to use here due to copyright issues.

But he was on HMHS Glenart Castle. Which was infamously later sunk by U Boat in 1918. I once watched a TV prog about it.

HMHS Glenart Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He left a Will, leaving his estate to his Mother. Born Feb 27th 1897 in Finchley, Middlesex. Aged 4 lived in Boxly, Kent. Living in Ramsgate, Kent in 1914 and enlisted at Maidstone, Kent.

Updated his medal card index with a new colour scan.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Death plaque   WWI Death plaque  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast