Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!

Article about: A teacher that I work with mentioned that she had a helmet for me. She said she heard about my "hands on history" lesson, and she'd be proud to give me her great grandfather's helm

Default Re: WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    How do this lids differ from WWI British lids?
    The easiest differance to spot is the chin strap retainers. The US M1917 has solid rivets holding them on to the lid, the Brit MKI has a split rivet. The seam where the rim comes together is slightly different as well, one butts up the other overlaps at the seam. I am sure there are other differances.....the Mfr stamp of course is one.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    The easiest differance to spot is the chin strap retainers. The US M1917 has solid rivets holding them on to the lid, the Brit MKI has a split rivet. The seam where the rim comes together is slightly different as well, one butts up the other overlaps at the seam. I am sure there are other differances.....the Mfr stamp of course is one.
    Did they have the same liner system?

I'll be sure to post high quality shots of this lid in a few hours! It's just a matter of me walking to the other side of the building to pick it up!

Hi Joe, see here for the British version:

Google Translate

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Ade!

?

Nice helmet, I have a British made one that was issued to American troops. You got a bargain there for sure. I paid well over a hundred dollars. Original British WW1 helmets are harder to find.

Here are better pictures as promised:

It belonged to her grandfather or great grandfather... his last name was Cruger and he was from the Poughkeepsie, NY area.

In general, the helmet is in pretty good shape. It's dusty, but everything is there and the liner is secure! Only thing missing (partially) is the cloth tag...

WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!

I also picked this WWI US Victory Medal up at a local pawn shop for $5. Hopefully it's an okay one!

WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!WWI Doughboy Helmet Gift!

Nice lid Joe congrats and your medal looks fine to me

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Nice lid Joe congrats and your medal looks fine to me

Eric
    Thanks, Eric! I'm thrilled about this all! I stopped into a local antique shop and saw the WWI medal... it was fate!

There was also a BUNCH of stuff found in the garbage today at our facility... I'll post pictures ASAP. Off hand, there were shoulder patches, allied occupation money, and even some US Civil War Confederate States of America currency!

Latest garbage finds can be seen here:
    Finds in the GARBAGE!

If the Confederate cash is real... that may be my ticket to a nice M1 Garand!

I'd love to see pics of the musket! Even better, there is no "paper work" on that because of the age (prior to 1898 I believe are antiques and not subject to all the background checks.) People will throw away just about anything without a care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast