Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

Article about: I picked this up for 30 dollars. From the pictures, I thought it was a French m1915 helmet that just looked green from lighting, but was pleasantly surprised to learn otherwise after having

Default WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

I picked this up for 30 dollars. From the pictures, I thought it was a French m1915 helmet that just looked green from lighting, but was pleasantly surprised to learn otherwise after having it in hand. I don't think these are too common so I'm sharing it here. Was the glossy green paint applied by the Italians over the French factory blue coat, and if so why do I see a lighter, flat shade of green peeking out from where the glossy paint has chipped?

Thanks, John

WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

?

Is it possibly a postwar repaint by someone fixing it up?

I've never actually handled an Italian M15 helmet but thought the insignia was painted on, can you see anything under the gloss? A nice helmet shell whether repainted or not.

The rivet at the front of the comb looks different too but as said, I've never handled them.

Tony

Here are two other examples I've found on the internet. The first one is the Italian-made version, which can be found here: Collectables - Poor Richards' British Gun Shop - Historical Reproductions The seller says, "This is a genuine Italian Army early M1916 Adrian helmet with the glossy dark green paint."
    WWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

Here is another example from ebay, which a Czechoslovakian volunteer shield. Link: Italian Adrian Helmet M1915 for Czechoslovak volunteers

WWI Itallian Adrian HelmetWWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

WWI Itallian Adrian HelmetWWI Itallian Adrian Helmet

I haven't found a source that documents anything definitive about the paint, but I assume it's wartime.