Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

WWI period postcards

Article about: Picked these up today. One French of the Somme I think, one of a member of the Army Service Corps with cloth title and ammo bandoleer, one asking for donations for tobacco for the troops wit

The Welsh, just pre WWI, Pembroke and Haverfordwest photographer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI period postcards   WWI period postcards  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A mounted photograph rather than a PC I think.

The Monmouthshire Regiment circa 1890-1900.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI period postcards   WWI period postcards  

Regards,

Jerry

Comic pc for the RWF.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI period postcards  
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I guess this one is fairly early war given the humourous nature of the card? I wonder if this kind of thing fell out of favour once the slaughter really started?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, I guess this one is fairly early war given the humourous nature of the card? I wonder if this kind of thing fell out of favour once the slaughter really started?

Cheers, Ade.
    You could be right Ade and certainly logic would suggest you are. I don't know of any way of dating them unless posted examples are extant. Most of these you see are unposted. I have seen others for the Welsh regiment and I am sure they must exist for most of the British regiments.

Mind you the Barinsfather pc's seem to continue throughout the war and they are of a humurous nature. A book I have suggests that those sent by the troops at the front were not the same as those popular on the homefront, the soppy love songs as shown earlier in this thread is a case in point and not something the frontline troops would send.

Also as new troops join up and prior to their being blooded they might still have a more romantic view of the war than those who had seen action, though of course the initial enthusiasm shown by the early war mass of volunteers was somewhat different to those who were conscripted as the war progressed.
    Regards,

Jerry

I reckon you are right.

Just looked again at the one in post 31: I wonder about the date of this? The "snake belt" would be part of the 1914 equipment.

Pattern 1914 Belts Braces and Straps

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I reckon you are right.

Just looked again at the one in post 31: I wonder about the date of this? The "snake belt" would be part of the 1914 equipment.

Pattern 1914 Belts Braces and Straps

Cheers, Ade.
    As you mention Ade, it is probably early war rather than pre war as I posted, or perhaps even later, though not too much later as I would expect him to have a trench cap if it was later than 1916 and the economy tunic.
    Regards,

Jerry

This is a great thread ! Here are a few postcards from my Family photo albums. The first 3 are all of my great great Grandfather, i think he was in the RFA. The 4th is an unknown relative on my Fathers Mothers side im also not sure what regiment he served in. the fifth is of my Great Great GrandFather on my Mothers Side, apparently he might have also served in the RFA, and there is a thread somewhere on the forum explaining what i know about him. and the last one again is an unknown relative that from what i know joined up near the end of the war under aged and was Unfortunately killed. i think i have some other postcards somewhere i will see if i can find them.

WWI period postcards   WWI period postcards  

WWI period postcards   WWI period postcards  

8th div. 1916.

Guillemont, Somme, September 1916.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast