Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Staff officers forage cap

Article about: Bought from the bay today so the sellers pics for now, who is a member here and the cap is shown in his book British Officer' Peak Caps of the Second World War. Made by a well known maker, H

Default WWI Staff officers forage cap

Bought from the bay today so the sellers pics for now, who is a member here and the cap is shown in his book British Officer' Peak Caps of the Second World War.

Made by a well known maker, Hawkes & Co, 1 Saville Rd, late of 15 Piccadilly and the label shows the cap is post 1911 as they moved to the new address at that date, but it is not known when they stopped using this design of their logo, but pre 1930 is likely and the cap could date to anytime within this period, though condition etc makes the earlier part of this period seems most likely IMO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Staff officers forage cap   WWI Staff officers forage cap  

WWI Staff officers forage cap   WWI Staff officers forage cap  

Last edited by Jerry B; 08-19-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It arrived, very nice IMHO and I have taken my own pictures of it though they do not really add or improve those from Oli.

I also included two of it with the pics of it from the book. British Officers' Peak Caps of the Second World War - $69.99 : Schiffer Publishing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Staff officers forage cap   WWI Staff officers forage cap  

Regards,

Jerry

?

I'm a bit confused regarding this cap, as I would expect the standard gold bullion peak embroidery for a colonel or brigadier to be present.
    Did junior officers temporarily attached to the staff in peacetime wear a cap such as this? I have seen photos of staff captains & the like in WWI wearing caps similiar to these, but in khaki, with scarlet band.
    Perhaps this a just a gap in my knowledge; I just don't know.

BobS

Bob,

I can only assume that the cap dates to either just before -more likely- or just after the war and it was allowed that they could wear the undress forage cap with staff officer insignia. As you mention, during the war undress would I think not be worn and they would wear a cap like this shown below which I am waiting to arrive, so excuse the crappy pic. As you mention a khaki SD cap with red band and crowned lion over crown badge.

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Bob, here is another similar example for sale at this time, though missing its badge.

Regards,

Jerry

An interesting image showing in center foreground an officer with a staff officers cap with black peak and no braid on it, red band and perhaps a khaki cap cover, so perhaps a cap of this type but with a field cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI Staff officers forage cap  WWI Staff officers forage cap 
    Regards,

Jerry

Senior officers forage cap with khaki cover, to show the type to which I refer. Shown with and without the cover.

Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    An interesting image showing in center foreground an officer with a staff officers cap with black peak and no braid on it, red band and perhaps a khaki cap cover, so perhaps a cap of this type but with a field cover.
    I believe that is a company grade officer, probably a captain, attached to the staff, given his scarlet tabs & cap band, who would not be of a senior enough rank to wear braid on his cap's peak.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    I believe that is a company grade officer, probably a captain, attached to the staff, given his scarlet tabs & cap band, who would not be of a senior enough rank to wear braid on his cap's peak.

BobS
    Indeed Bob and that was the point I was trying to illustrate, no braid on his peak but a forage cap with a cover rather than an SD cap which also would not have the braid but the latter would not have a black peak but instead a khaki peak.
    Regards,

Jerry

Default Staff Officers 'Cor Blimey'

This rather worn cap is the style popular with officers in the early part of WW1.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI Staff officers forage cap  WWI Staff officers forage cap  WWI Staff officers forage cap