Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWI toothbrushes

Article about: Does anyone have a clue about military toothbrushes? Were they issued as military toothbrushes or did a soldier bring his own? I bought one years ago on a visit to London which I’ve attached

?

Thanks William,

It's always good to hear a second person backing up and confirming the authenticity.

Tony

NCA
    ?

The WR Tilbury ones have been passed off as genuine recently...I think one made over £100!!It had been aged a bit but definitely a TPF one as that name is made up.Caveat Emptor.

?

There's one the same as mine on UK ebay at the mo. I'm interested in seeing what it sells for although it started at a high price and hasn't moved much WW1 British Issue Toothbrush Robert Addis SON LTD 1918 | eBay

Tony

£210. Hm, it seems interest in British WW1 militaria is as strong as ever, and the only items to have fallen back somewhat are those which most collectors already have examples of. Do I take a malicious pleasure in seeing certain dealers stuck with their overpriced items? Of course I don't, that would be just horrid and I feel nothing but sympathy for the poor dears!

?

Quote by William1 View Post
    £210. Hm, it seems interest in British WW1 militaria is as strong as ever, and the only items to have fallen back somewhat are those which most collectors already have examples of. Do I take a malicious pleasure in seeing certain dealers stuck with their overpriced items? Of course I don't, that would be just horrid and I feel nothing but sympathy for the poor dears!

That was perhaps a one off price from people starved of original toothbrushes. I bet if I put mine on there I'd get quite a bit less, always seems to be the way if I sell something. Still, it's nice to know I have a desirable bit of original kit.

Tony

I think small disposable bits will always command a good price. Toothbrushes were a one off issue then replaced at personal expense.
    I think you would be surprised at the price your toothbrush would make were you to sell it.

WW1 dated toothbrushes are very scarce. Holdalls, KFSs, razors and button sticks aren't, and so when a toothbrush comes up, people want to finish the set and the result's a bloodbath.

I imagine a painful experience but I guess you only have to do it once to feed the collector habit!

?

I'll probably keep hold of it for the time being but who knows, if I need some money it might make my decision on what goes a little easier. It wasn't the only one I saw at the time and now wish I had bought more.

Tony

I have just found a dated WW2 toothbrush on a reputable dealers site for £100 so start rooting around for the WW2 versions as well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast