Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Trench Art swagger Stick

Article about: Im not really sure what this is, it came in the WWI footlocker I found, I guess i would call it a swagger stick. It has 9 Battles stamped into each brass shell ( CHATEAU THIERRY, SOISSONS,ST

Default WWI Trench Art swagger Stick

Im not really sure what this is, it came in the WWI footlocker I found, I guess i would call it a swagger stick. It has 9 Battles stamped into each brass shell ( CHATEAU THIERRY, SOISSONS,ST MIHIEL, MEUSE ARGONNE, VERDUN, SEICHEPREY,BELLEAU WOOD,CANTIGNY, NOYON)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Trench Art swagger Stick   WWI Trench Art swagger Stick  

Default Re: WWI Trench Art swagger Stick

Memory stick?

?

Dirt Det. I dont know what it is but I like it Gary

WWIJunky
    ?

Based on the battlefields listed I would think this is a Memory Stick for the US 2nd Infantry Division as a whole. The 2 ID was the only US unit involved at Belleau Wood, and only one brigade participated there...the 4th Bde, consisting entirely of two Marnine Regiments...the 5th & 6th. Interestingly the battles listed are NOT in the order fought.

?

I like it.........but I bet its an absolute b*tch to keep clean, unless its already got a good layer of varnish on it to protect it.

WWIJunky
    ?

Based on what I've seen on Antique Road Show, Pawn Shop Stars, and American Pickers (the last 2 on the US History Channel), it's better to leave the "patina" alone...increases the value of the object...particularly true of rifles, pistols, knives, bayonets, etc. Rule of thumb...if old, leave it alone! Brasso, silver/pewter cleaners, wire brushes, and the like diminish the value of such items.

I've got a couple of 77mm shell casings from 1917 (Dusseldorf manufacture) that have been etched with intricate designs, including Dutch Iris, and a banner saying "Yser"...the canal that surrounded the devastated city of Yper (Ieper in Flemish). My guess is that it was done by German soldaten...access to 77mm shell casings would likely be to German folk alone since the Brits had a particularly hard time taking German positions (especially the rear areas where the 77's would be posted). Three intense battles were fought in the Ypres vicinity from 1914 thru 1917...all horrific in the loss of life...on both sides.

WWI Junky;

I would like to see pictures of your shell casings!

Thanks

Boridin

WWIJunky
    ?

Here it is...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Trench Art swagger Stick   WWI Trench Art swagger Stick  

Cool!

Thank you very much!!

Boridin

WWIJunky
    ?

My pleasure! Funny, I was trying to remember where I picked those up, and how much I paid, but can't recall...may have been in Belgium where I spent 2.5 years at SHAPE HQ's when I was in the service...best assignment I had in my 20-year career. Got to visit many of the WWI battlefields...even got lost for a time in Bourlon Woods!

Anyway...after doing some research I estimate the vases value at around $250 US...I am certain I didn't pay that much initially! Have got more items I've picked up along the way, including 400-500 books on WWI...some written during or immediately after the war....hence, WWIJunky. Later.