Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?

Article about: Dave, Nice to see Lt. Morse's Helmet again! Glad you like it!

?

Default Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?

I need to know if this is a wwi us avaitors cap? The person who sold it to me said it was either an avaitors cap or a motorcycle cap. It also has a pair of goggles to it. I will appreciate any help.
    Thank-You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?  

Default Re: Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?

Hi,

It is GREAT to see someone else posting WWI aviation!

My opinion is that neither are WWI aviation related. Although there were many different private purchase flight helmets used by pilots, this one does not seem to resemble any examples from the period that I have seen. This looks to be from the 1950's -1970's.

As far as the goggles, the type most preferred by aviators featured larger eye pieces for better peripheral vision and did not lie so flat on the face, but some of the very early examples did resemble these somewhat. However, the very anemic looking strap (string) for the head would not serve well for flight. From what I can see, these have fur material on the inside for warmth and cushion to the face (which was something that was common on WWI aviation goggles) but can also be found on motorcycle goggles as well - I really don't think these were intended for aviation. Although it is not impossible that these were used for flight, I believe they are 1930-ish motorcycle goggles.

Are there any markings on the piece?

Here is a classic example of a leather flying helmet from WWI. This one was worn by Lt. Charles Hill in France.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Correction: It is late, and I am tired... , What I meant to say was...it is GREAT to see someone else posting who has an interest in WWI aviation!

If you are seeking classic examples of WWI flying helmet and goggles, I can direct you to several sources for some nice examples. Please feel free to PM or e-mail me if you choose.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi steve m,,i am new to th forum and enjoyed looking at your ww 1 summer flight helmet,,here is one of my favorite pieces from u.s. Ww 1.........dave h
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?   Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?  

Is this a wwi us avaitors cap?  

And my favorite british flight helmet,,,,,,,,dave h

Hi Dave,

These are fantastic! Thanks for posting them.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Another ww 1 british flight helmet........dave h

Ww 1 u.s. Navy flight helmet...........dave h

WW 1 u.s. type 1 a flying helmet.............Dave H

?

Man those are some rare pieces of US WWI flight headgear. Really nice to see them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast