Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI USMC overseas cap, unissued

Article about: Minty doughboy overseas cap with Marine EGA....Marines wore regular army caps. Small size dated 1918, and unissued. EGA shows verdigris and interesting hollow construction. Commentary welcom

Default WWI USMC overseas cap, unissued

Minty doughboy overseas cap with Marine EGA....Marines wore regular army caps. Small size dated 1918, and unissued. EGA shows verdigris and interesting hollow construction. Commentary welcome of course, thanks!

?

Not sure that this came together, first the EGA looks to be a little earlier than 1918 but could have been put on by the vet, but my main concern is that there is residue left from the back of the EGA where it was on the cap, to me it does not look like it has been on the cap very long. These ww1 USMC overseas caps are quite hard to find, so there are many fakes out there.

?

The USMC that I have and the ones I see around from time to time are usually a dark green cloth. The same as their uniforms of the time. They tend to stick out a lot more than the Army cloth. It is hard to tell from these pics color wise but it does not appear to be USMC.
    The EGA also seems not period. I didn't think that they were stamped EGA's at the time. But could be wrong.
    The ones I have are solid construction.

Yes, a valid point. The EGA has imprinted the hat a bit but maybe not enough for a piece this old (?) I'm guessing the EGA is worth more than the cap. Thanks for your input.

Popeye, Marines in France wore olive drab M1918 army overseas caps....there were no forest green ones. They also got Brit Brodies helmets.

Here is another old EGA in heavy bronze also stamped...of the era. The one on the cap is a very light weight metal like copper. Each globe has the diagonal line across it (NW to SE)....forget what its called.

?

The second EGA posted looks more like it would fit the period, the one that was previously shown looks more like from the 1900s, it is a good EGA.

Thanks for your feedback.

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

I didn't think that the marines wore a fouled anchor in WWI. The hat is a standard army hat of a small size. These were used by the Army and Marine Corps. The Marines also had a uniform in Forest Green.

Fred

The EGA for WWI is the stubby legged, squatting bird and fouled anchor made from blackened bronze.... Unfouled was a bit later. Check out various EGA forums on the net for confirmation of this and also see some of the helmets that had legit EGA's too.

PS.....ca.1920 EGA without rope.