Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako

Article about: I've had this on my site for a little while, and up until yesterday I had no issues with it at all. But I've been told that Fredrich Becker was a post war manufacturer and pre war it was H B

Apart from higher rank Offizier Tschakos (the versions with the silver metal band) all of the war time Tschakos I have seen have the little lug.

Because the buttons on either side of the Offizier Tschakos were more ornate, usually a metal loop was fitted behind to allow the plume to be fixed.

Hopefully this photo shows it better than I can describe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako
    P
    Many

Learnt something new today thanks gents, Paul

I thought everyone knew this already ! Only kidding...............it's all news to me as well and I've had three in my collection over the years and never knew to look for that.

This forum is a goldmine of info. Thanks.

cheers

Tony

& now to complicate things even more. This is a TR Tschako that was repurposed for a postwar police organisation by removing the green wool and repainting it black (and replacing the eagle with whatever BRD police insignia was used).
    Then some seller replaced the BRD insignia and reapplied a TR eagle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako   1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako  

1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako   1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Some stuff is just plain messed up ! I like to spend time restoring WW1 and 1920's caps back from dealer/collector Third Reich upgrades when it obvious this has been done for nefarious reasons ...........all fun of the hobby. cheers Tony

[QUOTE=stonemint; Also, on TR Shakos you want to see the lug (arrow is pointed at it), which was used to attach the parade bush.
    (BRD Shakos did not use it)[/QUOTE]

I came across these two BRD examples with the bracket on the left lug, does this mean that they are re-worked TR examples?

1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako

I have never been able to find definitive information about these.

I have one identical to the black one posted by Jamie and am also aware of the "Folklore" that suggests the Berlin Schupo (in typical Berlin manner) did not adopt the green felt design when all other areas did until they were specifically ordered to do so by (or on behalf of) Himmler himself. I have also seen period pictures of Berlin police wearing black shakos with the TR badge but I will have to find them again (didn't file them D'oh!).

I too have a post war shako from Nordrhein-Westphalen (NRW) like the one posted by Jerry and it too has the plume loop on the left boss. The liner in these is markedly different to the earlier type being similar in the leather used to the early Bundeswehr liners whereas the earlier liners are much lighter in colour and of much thinner material.

If anyone knows of a reliable research resouce concerning these I would very much like to know as my knowledge is far "thinner" than I would like!

1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Gents, I apologize, I spoke too soon--some BRD-made examples do have the bracket, but IMO, this was the use of leftover stock. (I also note that some BRD Shakos have the bracket snipped off).

The pre-war ones generally have 2 vents in front of the plate; are maker marked; and have perforations in the leather liner.

Here is an example with the vents in front (they would not be visible with the Weimar police insignia:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako   1936 Pattern Police “City” Tschako  

There was a find of unissued POSTWAR-manufactured Roemer shakos a few years back, still in their boxes.
    These are commonly Nazified by unscrupulous dealers/seller, and sold as 1933-36 unissued "transitional" Shakos.
    This one is currently for sale on Ebay (being sold as an unissued original, of course):

(I have also seen at least one unissued TR shako paired with one of these boxes for sale as well).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2